While Smart HDD is running, it will block nearly all your programs and system tools to protect itself from being removed. It will display the following error message:
Windows detected a hard drive problem.
A hard drive error occurred while starting the application.
Then it will display a bunch of fake warnings and notifications saying that your private data is at risk or that your hard drive disk has some serious problems. Some of the fake alerts you may see when your computer is infected with Smart HDD:
RAM memory usage is critically high. RAM memory failure.
Windows can't find hard disk space. Hard drive error
System RestoreOh, by the way, this fake program detects the same 11 errors on different computers, not matter if it’s an old PC or a new laptop. That’s not what you would expect from a legitimate disk defragmenter. Be advised, that Smart HDD usually comes bundled with rootkits. That’s why you manual removal is not recommended. Even if you delete Smart HDD’s files, it will come back again because of rootkits or other malware. In order to completely remove Smart HDD from your computer, please follow the removal instructions below. Also, if you have purchased this bogus program, please contact you credit card provider and dispute the charges. Last, but not least, you can leave a comment if you a have any questions about this malware. Any additional information about Smart HDD is ppreciated. Good luck and be safe online!
The system has been restored after a critical error. Data integrity and hard drive integrity verification required.
1. Use debugged registration key and fake email to register Smart HDD malware. This will allow you to download and run any malware removal tool you like and restore hidden files and shortcuts. Choose to activate "Smart HDD" manually and enter the following email and activation code:
15801587234612645205224631045976 (new code!)
1203978628012489708290478989147 (old code, may not work anymore)
2. Download TDSSKiller and run a system scan. Remove found rootkits as shown in the image below. Reboot your computer if required.
3. Download recommended anti-malware software (direct download) and run a full system scan to remove this virus from your computer.
Alternate Smart HDD removal instructions:
1. Open Internet Explorer. If the shortcut is hidden, pelase Select Run... from the Start Menu or just hit the key combination CTRL+R on your keyboard. In the Open: field, enter iexplore.exe and hit Enter or click OK.
2. Download and run this utility to restore missing icons and shortcuts.
3. Now, please download TDSSKiller and run a system scan. Remove found rootkits as shown in the image below. Reboot your computer if required.
Please note that your computer might be rootkit free, not all version of Smart HDD comes bundled with rootkits. Don't worry if TDSSKiller didn't find a rootkit.
4. Finally, download recommended anti-malware software (direct download) and run a full system scan to remove this virus from your computer.
5. Smart HDD virus should be gone. If certain icons and shortcuts are still missing, please use restoresm.zip.
Smart HDD associated files and registry values:
- %Temp%\[SET OF RANDOM NUMBERS]
- %Temp%\[SET OF RANDOM NUMBERS].exe
- %Temp%\[SET OF RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
- %Temp%\[SET OF RANDOM CHARACTERS].dll
- %UserProfile%\[SET OF RANDOM CHARACTERS].DAT
- %UserProfile%\Desktop\Smart HDD.lnk
- %UserProfile%\Start Menu\Programs\Smart HDD\
- %UserProfile%\Start Menu\Programs\Smart HDD\Smart HDD.lnk
- %UserProfile%\Start Menu\Programs\Smart HDD\Uninstall Smart HDD.lnk
C:\Documents and Settings\[UserName]\Local Settings\Temp (in Windows 2000/XP)
C:\Users\[UserName]\AppData\Local\Temp (in Windows Vista & Windows 7)
%UserProfile% refers to:
C:\Documents and Settings\[UserName]\ (in Windows 2000/XP)
C:\Users\[UserName]\ (in Windows Vista & Windows 7)
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run "[SET OF RANDOM NUMBERS]"
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run "[SET OF RANDOM NUMBERS].exe"