Infected websites and fake online scanners are very common infection sources for malware. System Cleaner enters your computer with the help of Trojans and other malware too. You may end up with the fake "cybercriminal activity test" pop-up on your computer which states your PC might be infected or even controlled by cyber-criminals. Once the "cybercriminal activity test" is executed, it displays the following message:
Your system has not passed the cybercriminal activity test and cannot be considered safe.
You might be a victim of cybercriminals.
Click here to learn more.
Then the System Cleaner malware scanner shows up and runs fake system scans. It may report hundreds of infected files. The reported infections do not exist. Then the misleading pop-up windows guide you through the steps necessary to purchase this rogue security product. What is more, System Cleaner may block other applications on your computer and redirect your web browser to misleading websites that can further harm your computer. If you find that your computer is infected with this scareware, please follow the removal instructions below to remove System Cleaner using legitimate and free anti-malware software. Do not hesitate to contact us if you need further assistance or you have questions regarding removal of this fake AV. Please leave a comment below. Good luck and be safe online!
System Cleaner removal instructions:
1. Reboot your computer is "Safe Mode with Networking". As the computer is booting tap the "F8 key" continuously which should bring up the "Windows Advanced Options Menu" as shown below. Use your arrow keys to move to "Safe Mode with Networking" and press Enter key. Login as the same user you were previously logged in with in the normal Windows mode. Read more detailed instructions here: http://www.computerhope.com/issues/chsafe.htm
2. Download recommend anti-malware software and run a full system scan.
3. New threats appear every day. In order to protect your PC from such (new) infections we strongly recommend you to use ESET Smart Security.
Associated System Cleaner files:
- C:\Documents and Settings\[UserName]\Application Data\install_sc
- C:\Documents and Settings\[UserName]\Desktop\System Cleaner.lnk
- C:\Documents and Settings\[UserName]\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\E1UD4BCB\continue.png
- C:\Documents and Settings\[UserName]\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\E1UD4BCB\desktop.ini
- C:\Documents and Settings\[UserName]\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\E1UD4BCB\plat.gif
- C:\Documents and Settings\[UserName]\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\G1SRGH2T\desktop.ini
- C:\Documents and Settings\[UserName]\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\G1SRGH2T\index_new.htm