Mac Protector "world's leading security application" splash screen:
Fake Mac Protector scanner:
Misleading Mac Protector security alert:
The user is then prompted to pay for a full license of the application in order to remove the threats.
Mac Protector and other rogue security software are distributed through the use of the fake Apple security center scanner. If you got an Apple security Center pop-up window saying that your computer is infected with a bunch of virus, please close it immediately. To remove Mac Protector, please follow the steps in the removal guide below. Good luck and be safe online!
Mac Protector removal instructions:
1. Open Applications → Utilities → Activity Monitor and terminate processes linked to Mac Protector.
2. Delete Mac Protector from the Applications folder.
3. Check System Preferences → Accounts → Login Items for Mac Protector entry.
4. Run a Spotlight search for "Mac Protector" to check for any associated files and remomove them if exist.
5. Download ESET Cybersecurity for Mac (free trial, fully functional) or Sophos Anti-Virus for Mac (free) and run a full system scan.
Associated Mac Protector files: