Internet Security Guard is distributed through spam e-mails, infected websites, and social networks. It seems that cyber criminals use the BlackHole exploit kit to spread the malware. Upon execution, Internet Security Guard modifies Windows registry and drops several files onto the infected computer. It then pretends to scan your computer for spyware, trojans, rootkits and other malicious software. It may falsely detect up to twenty viruses on your computer. What is more, this rogue antivirus program, blocks legitimate security software and system utilities. Last, but not least, it changes LAN settings by adding a proxy server which redirects http requests through servers controled by cyber criminals. As a results, anti-virus and tech support websites may be blocked. Windows Hosts file might be replaced as well.
Websites in some way associated with Internet Security Guard:
If your computer just got infected with Internet Security Guard, please ignore everything it says and do not follow instructions on screen. But most importantly, DO NOT purhcase it. If you though it was real and you gave your credit card details to scammers, contact your credit card company immediately and dispute the charges. To remove Internet Security Guard, please follow the steps in the removal guide below. If you have any questions, just leave a comment below. Have a good weekend!
Quick Internet Security Guard removal guide:
1. Open Internet Security Guard. Click the "Activate full protection" button. Enter one of these debugged registration keys to register this rogue application. Don't worry, this is completely legal.
Once this is done, you are free to install anti-malware software and remove the rogue anti-virus program from your computer properly.
2. Download recommended anti-malware software (Spyware Doctor) and run a full system scan to remove this virus from your computer.
3. To reset the Hosts file back to the default automatically, download and run Fix it and follow the steps in the Fix it wizard.
Alternate Internet Security Guard removal instructions:
1. Reboot your computer is "Safe Mode with Networking". As the computer is booting tap the "F8 key" continuously which should bring up the "Windows Advanced Options Menu" as shown below. Use your arrow keys to move to "Safe Mode with Networking" and press Enter key. Read more detailed instructions here: http://www.computerhope.com/issues/chsafe.htm
NOTE: Login as the same user you were previously logged in with in the normal Windows mode.
2. Launch Internet Explorer. In Internet Explorer go to: Tools->Internet Options->Connections tab. Click Lan Settings button and uncheck the checkbox labeled Use a proxy server for your LAN. Click OK. You may have to repeat steps 1-2 if you will have problems downloading malware removal programs.
3. Download recommended anti-malware software (Spyware Doctor) and run a full system scan to remove this virus from your computer.
4. To reset the Hosts file back to the default automatically, download and run Fix it and follow the steps in the Fix it wizard.
Associated Internet Security Guard files and registry values:
- %AllUsersProfile%\Application Data\[SET OF RANDOM CHARACTERS]\
- %AppData%\Internet Security Guard\
- %AppData%\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\Internet Security Guard.lnk
- %UserProfile%\Desktop\Internet Security Guard
- %UserProfile%\Start Menu\Internet Security Guard.lnk
- %UserProfile%\Start Menu\Programs\Internet Security Guard.lnk
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\Internet Security Guard = "%AllUsersProfile%\Application Data\58d584\HS126.exe" /s /d
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce\HSS = "%Temp%\scandsk221d_5201.exe" /cs:1
- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\[RANDOM].exe\Debugger = svchost.exe
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer\DisallowRun = 01000000