Your computer is infected with malicious software? Do you have popups on your PC?
If so, search this blog for removal instructions or find computer threats by category.

Tuesday, April 9, 2013

How to Remove Start Sweetpacks and Sweetpacks Toolbar

Tell your friends:
Start sweetpacks (start.sweetpacks.com) is one of a few apps created SweetPacks Technologies Ltd. Some of them became quite popular, for instance SweetIM. The main goal if this company is to create apps that will hopefully enhance your web surfing experience. I really do wish them luck but at the same time I think that they need to improve certain aspects of their software. What I don't like is that people find it rather difficult to complete remove Start sweetpacks from their computers. What is more, some of the users that got "infected" (it's not technically a virus, maybe a browser hijacker at worst) wasn't even planning to install it in the first place. SweetPacks are very often bundled with freeware and advertised through really questionable sites, for example illegal download sites, etc. On the other hand, it's not entirely their fault. Advertising companies should watch where and how they serve ads more closely; otherwise it's a waste of money. Anyway, this post is not about advertising, so I won't go into details about those issues this time. This page contains step by step instructions on how to remove Start Sweetpacks from Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox and Internet Explorer.



When I installed SweetPacks on my computer, I got the following notification from Google Chrome. Not only this application changed my default search engine to start.sweetpacks.com instead of Google but also installed a web browser extension which apparently can "Access all data on your computer and the websites you visit".



By the way Start sweetpacks shows up each time you open a new tab. It doesn't just occupy your home page. In short, I was experiencing issues that were not present before. Searching directly from omnibox in Google Chrome or from address bar in other web browser redirects users to bing.com which isn't even their own search engine. So, they basically load their own homepage with ads and then loads results from Bing. It doesn't make sense at all. On the other hand, the point of adware from the developers perspective is to attempt to recover some of the costs of developing their software and in some cases it might enable the software to be given to the user for free or at a reduced rate. Any income that is attained from advertising to the user often means that the software developer is encouraged and motivated to continue with the development and maintenance of the software product, and to continue upgrading it.

Furthermore, it installs Sweetpacks toolbar to Mozilla Firefox and Internet Explorer. Perhaps that wouldn't be a problem at all if users could easily remove it. Yet again, they are facing some serious problems since it can't be removed though Control Panel. Everything has to be done manually. Like it or not, you will have to mess with all the preferences and browser settings if you want to use your web browser as you did before.

To remove Start sweetpacks and SweetPacks toolbar from your computer, please follow the removal instructions below. Questions and comments are welcome.


Written by Michael Kaur, http://deletemalware.blogspot.com



Start Sweetpacks removal instructions:

1. First of all, download recommended anti-malware software and run a full system scan. It will detect and remove this infection from your computer. You may then follow the manual removal instructions below to remove the leftover traces of this browser hijacker. Hopefully you won't have to do that.





2. Uninstall Start Sweetpacks from your computer using the Add/Remove Programs control panel (Windows XP) or Uninstall a program control panel (Windows 7 and Windows 8).

Go to the Start Menu. Select Control PanelAdd/Remove Programs.
If you are using Windows Vista or Windows 7, select Control PanelUninstall a Program.



If you are using Windows 8, simply drag your mouse pointer to the right edge of the screen, select Search from the list and search for "control panel".



Or you can right-click on a bottom left hot corner (formerly known as the Start button) and select Control panel from there.



2. When the Add/Remove Programs or the Uninstall a Program screen is displayed, scroll through the list of currently installed programs and remove the following entries:
  • SweetPacks
  • SweetPacks Toolbar
  • Updater by Sweetpacks
Simply select each application and click Remove. If you are using Windows Vista, Windows 7 or Windows 8, click Uninstall up near the top of that window. When you're done, please close the Control Panel screen.


Remove Start Sweetpacks from Google Chrome:

1. Click on Customize and control Google Chrome icon. Go to ToolsSettings.



2. Click Set pages under the On startup.


Remove http://start.sweetpacks.com by clicking the "X" mark as shown in the image below. Click OK.



3. Click Show Home button under Appearance. Then click Change.



Select Use the New Tab page and click OK to save changes.



4. Click Manager search engines button under Search.



Select Google or any other search engine you like from the list and make it your default search engine provider.



Select start.sweetpacks.com from the list and remove it by clicking the "X" mark as shown in the image below.



5. Click on Customize and control Google Chrome icon. Go to ToolsExtensions.

6. Select Sweetpacks Chrome extension and Updater by Sweetpacks and click on the small recycle bin icon to remove the extension.




Remove Start Sweetpacks from Mozilla Firefox:

1. Open Mozilla Firefox. Go to ToolsAdd-ons.



2. Select Extensions. Remove Sweetpacks toolbar for Firefox and Updater by Sweetpacks. Close the window.



3. Go to ToolsOptions. Under the General tab reset the homepage or change it to google.com, etc.

4. In the URL address bar, type about:config and hit Enter.



Click I'll be careful, I promise! to continue.



In the search filter at the top, type: sweetpacks



Now, you should see all the preferences that were changed by Start Sweetpacks. Right-click on the preference and select Reset to restore default value. Reset all found preferences!




Remove Start Sweetpacks from in Internet Explorer:

1. Open Internet Explorer. Go to ToolsManage Add-ons.




2. Select Toolbars and Extensions. Select Sweetpacks toolbar for Internet Explorer and Sweetpacks Browser Helper and click Disable/Remove.



2. Select Search Providers. First of all, choose Live Search search engine and make it your default web search provider (Set as default).

3. Select Start Sweetpacks and click Remove to remove it. Close the window.

4. Go to ToolsInternet Options. Select General tab and click Use default button or enter your own website, e.g. google.com instead of http://start.sweetpacks.com/. Click OK to save the changes.

68 comments:

Anonymous said...

Perfect step by step instructions!!!! Sweetpacks is now history on my computer! THANK YOU!!! brylpete

Anonymous said...

Instructions were precise and very easy to follow! I removed Sweetpacks Toolbars from Chrome and Firefox! Thank you so much!

Anonymous said...

Thank you! Worked Great! Not sure where I got this from...

Anonymous said...

THXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX SO MUCH!!! SWEETPACKS TAKE THAT!!!

Anonymous said...

Thanks a million! Very easy to follow, and not-so-Sweetpacks is history. Still have no idea where it came from, as well as a few other pieces of software I was able to remove on my own.

Anonymous said...

Very helpful - thanks!

Anonymous said...

awesome much appreciated

Andrea said...

thank you so much!! its been driving me nuts!!!

Anonymous said...

SweetIM also came up - a search for "sweet" got the PITA to show up. The only thing I can remember downloading were a few fonts - will need to look closer next time (this was worse that the yahoo toolbar).

Anonymous said...

I'm getting ads on facebook now, even after following this process. I have to think there's something left somewhere on my system from sweetpacks. Any ideas?

Teri said...

PERFECT instructions after searching many other attempts to remove. My malware removal didn't pick up on the issue of sweetpacks starting in new tabs. Thank you for the GREAT instruction!

Anonymous said...

I still have sweetpacks as my browser because i can't access internet options. Every time I try to change it i get the restrictions error message. Do you know of a way around this? Thanks for any help that you can give.

Anonymous said...

Hey - thanks!! Your directions were the easiest ones to follow that I found. It only took a couple of minutes to complete.

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much!! Easy to follow and effective instructions... It was impossible to solve this on my own!

Anonymous said...

YAY! Thanks so much for your help! I couldn't get rid of the sucker until I did the about:config thing in Firefox. I'd done everything else that was supposed to work but didn't.

Anonymous said...

AWESOME!! Worked perfectly.

Anonymous said...

This is the best set of instructions yet and I have looked at a lot of them. Did the trick for the toolbar and new tab. However, I am still getting unwanted pop-ups.
Thanks.

Anonymous said...

Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Thank you very much. No idea where sweetpacks came from but it had infected all of the browsers I use.

Harry L Wheeler said...

That Worked. thanks so much for your accurate step by step instructions. i have been trying to remove sweetpacks or several days. it kept showing up on the new tab in chrome until I followed all of your instructions.
100% spot on.

Anonymous said...

I have been trying to remove the remnants of SweetPacks for the past 2 hours! Your instructions for going to the about:config were the ticket! Once I did this it completely fixed the Bing search tab problem I was having!!

Anonymous said...

yippee..worked great.Felt like I hit a grand slam in the 9th inning.Thank you so much. Where on earth did this come from...

Anonymous said...

Pretty sure this not-so-sweetpacks came when I did something with either java or flash. UGH. Thank you for this help!!! great instructions and I think it worked!!

Thanks said...

This is the best blogged answer I have ever looked up!! Thank you!!

Ray Holbrook said...

This was about the tenth explaintion of how to remove Sweetpacks. It worked. Thank you. However you don not need to download the anti virus program to get it to work.

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much. I got that crap when I installed an app from CNet. And I chose "NOT" to install the toolbar when installing it.
Chrome was really hard to resolve.

gpf said...

Fantastic post!!

Only my Firefox browser was affected (Win7). After doing all the 'normal' stuff - Control Panel >uninstall, disable/remove Add-ons, reset Home Page ... the New Tab page was still 'infected'.
Even ran full scans for: Windows Security Essentials, Malwarebytes, Spybot - NONE detected this nuisance-ware :-(
All other removal posts mention running another uninstall add-on, Resetting F.fox, etc ...

BUT only THIS POST got down to the specific nitty-gritty of cleaning the foreign entries in !!

THANK YOU much !!!
and added benefir: Now I know about the about:config and other Mozilla about: xxxx troubleshooting utils =D

Anonymous said...

THANK YOU!! I did everything they listed to do in their "uninstall directions" and it was still coming up. Going into the "about:config" finally fixed it! Wonderful!

Anonymous said...

Thank you sooooo much!
Instructions were very easy follow.
Thank you a bunch!

DM

Anonymous said...

Fantastic - Thank you very much!

Anonymous said...

Really helpful, thanks so much.

Anonymous said...

You saved my mind from meltdown... Great instructions!Thank you so much

Anonymous said...

I can't thank you enough!! Perfect!

Anonymous said...

You sir deserve a medal for the good you have done for the universe!

Anonymous said...

Thank you! Its been bothering me for about 2 months now. Its finally gone!

Robert Kelley said...

Many thanks, Michael! The instructions couldn't have been clearer, and I was able to exorcise this monstrosity from Firefox without having to reset. Great job!

Anonymous said...

It works. Excellent tips.

Anonymous said...

beautiful!!! thanks so much

Anonymous said...

Oh my jesus I love you.

Eph91 said...

You rock. Thank you so much!

Anonymous said...

Great job. Thank you very much for your help.

Anonymous said...

You are so awesome!!!! This did the trick!

Anonymous said...

Perfect!!.. It's very helpful.

Anonymous said...

Thank you SO much! I'd removed the program and updater from Control Panel and was able to get rid of all signs except when I added a new tab. Totally forgot about about:config. Thanks for the reminder and the tutorial. It was very easy and worked perfectly.

Anonymous said...

Thank you very much. Good & thorough.

I too got this when I downloaded Free Cuda Video Converter (6) from CNET. It wasn't a typical install .exe, it said it was a CNet installation. The install program put refusing sweetpacks as the choice to 'decline,' which I can see that some would think that terminated the full installation. Anyway, I carefully 'declined' sweetpacks & bing, but it STILL installed both in Firefox & in a couple places on my harddrive. Finding it harder to trust CNet now, but this page bailed me out.

Anonymous said...

THANK YOU!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Oh man! Awesome! I wish I had come across these instructions sooner. You are so rad!

moh said...

Thank you. Good Job!

Anonymous said...

Whew, finally its gone. Thanks!!

Anonymous said...

Sweetpacks had me confuzzled, but thanks to your superb instuctions I am sane again.

Anonymous said...

Fromm mozilla I can not remove. At every restart it comes again!!!!

Anonymous said...

Thank you sooooo much! This was really helpful! Goodbye Sweetpacks!

Jennifer Ratliff said...

Oh, my god, thank you so much. I got so confused when Sweetpacks popped up in my browser, and had no freaking CLUE where it came from. Thanks again!

Mal Arkey said...

Much appreciated precise instructions that worked 100%! Got rid of the beast from IE and Chrome. Thank you very much.

Anonymous said...

Hi - I have tried that but when I get to my about config it says that status is LOCKED and I can't modify the browser new tab. I am so fed up, I have re-installed firefox twice now. I am sure this thing is causing my plugins to crash etc, appreciate any help.

Hannah said...

YOU ARE MY HEROOOOOOOOOOO! seriously, thank you thank you!!

Anonymous said...

thanks for the help!! Stupid sweetpacks!

Anonymous said...

You're the man! Thanks for taking the time and trouble to post this.

Anonymous said...

Great job. Very easy to follow instructions Than you!!!

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much, sweet packs hasn't bugged me for months.

Anonymous said...

Thank you, thank you, thank you. These sweetpack guys deserve a lawsuit I think!

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much . Panic over

Anonymous said...

Great help!
Got rid of this annoying crap from my son's computer.
Thank you.

David Morency said...

Nicely done. Tried about 20 sites before this, all of them crap.

kmac said...

There is one remaining preference that I can not reset for FireFox because it is "locked." As a result, I still get sent to sweetpacks page when I type in a web address.....

any help?

Admin said...

Try this: http://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/reset-preferences-fix-problems

Anonymous said...

Thank you for helping me get this crap off my computer. I never wanted it and got it by accident. I got all of it removed already, but this helped me get rid of the last bit of it, sweetpacks still showing up whenever i opened a new tab in firefox.

Anonymous said...

thank you so much! the so called 'help' instructions that Sweetpacks gives people to uninstall their malware doesn't do the job . this was very easy to follow - thanks!