'lnksr.com' pop up usually comes bundled with adware and potentially unwanted web browser add-ons. As you may know, adware is short for advertising supported software and it is the name given to software programs that have been designed to display advertisements on your computer. Sounds pretty harmless doesn’t it, after all we are surrounded by advertising in every shape and form almost every waking minute of our lives but there is a little more to adware than simply trying to get you to buy stuff: it can monopolize your PC, it can seriously affect the time you spend on the internet – oh and it spies on you too! Some people say lnksr is a redirect malware, while others say it's a virus. Neither of these is correct. If those annoying pop ups come up all the time then your computer is infected with adware. By the way, the website itself isn't malicious. It's a simple site that redirects users to certain advertising networks. However, as you probably already noticed, those pop up ads are kind misleading, so after all they may pose security risks.
What is more, behind the scenes adware that displays lnksr.com pop ups is collecting personal information about you. And it is due to this that you will probably find that your computer is running way slower than it normally does. This is because the adware is beavering away and constantly ‘calling home’ to relay its findings about you.
It doesn’t usually let you know that it’s installed on your computer – there will be no notifications, signs of the program or any indication that it is on your machine.
Where did it come from? Very often, lnksr.com comes packaged with a freeware or shareware program – music or an online game for example - as this is seen as a way of generating advertising income that will help pay for subsequent development and distribution of the freeware or shareware. However, even if you have the misfortune of visiting an infected website by accident, you can end up with adware installed on your PC.
In the majority of cases lnksr.com is tricky to uninstall – naturally the creators like to make it as hard as possible for you to get rid of their software! Even though it is not classed as a virus, the technology that is used during its programming and coding isn’t that different to the way viruses are created and just like a virus, adware too can infiltrate your computer and run surreptitiously.
The best thing you can do to protect against falling prey to lnksr redirect is to install anti-malware and anti-virus software on to your computer. It is always a good idea to have more than one security software program active on your machine as different software can detect different strains of malware so the more you have installed, the more bases you have covered. I mean not two antivirus products, but a combination of anti-virus and anti-malware.
If you have been infected with adware that displays lnksr.com pop ups , run recommended anti-malware software, it should be able to pick up and delete lnksr right away. If you have any questions, please leave a comment below. Good luck and be safe online!
Written by Michael Kaur, http://deletemalware.blogspot.com
lnksr.com removal instructions:
1. First of all, download recommended anti-malware software and run a full system scan. It will detect and remove this adware infection from your computer. You may then follow the manual removal instructions below to remove the leftover traces of this adware. Hopefully you won't have to do that that.
2. Remove lnksr.com related programs from your computer using the Add/Remove Programs control panel (Windows XP) or Uninstall a program control panel (Windows 7 and Windows 8).
Go to the Start Menu. Select Control Panel → Add/Remove Programs.
If you are using Windows Vista or Windows 7, select Control Panel → Uninstall a Program.
If you are using Windows 8, simply drag your mouse pointer to the right edge of the screen, select Search from the list and search for "control panel".
Or you can right-click on a bottom left hot corner (formerly known as the Start button) and select Control panel from there.
3. When the Add/Remove Programs or the Uninstall a Program screen is displayed, scroll through the list of currently installed programs and remove the following:
- Coupon Server
- and any other recently installed application
Simply select each application and click Remove. If you are using Windows Vista, Windows 7 or Windows 8, click Uninstall up near the top of that window. When you're done, please close the Control Panel screen.
Remove lnksr.com pop-ups from Google Chrome:
1. Click on Chrome menu button. Go to Tools → Extensions.
2. Click on the trashcan icon to remove the following extensions: (Click to enlarge image)
Remove lnksr.com pop-ups from Mozilla Firefox:
1. Open Mozilla Firefox. Go to Tools → Add-ons.
2. Select Extensions. Click Remove button to the following extensions. If you can't find the Remove button, then simply click on the Disable button.
Remove lnksr.com pop-ups from Internet Explorer:
1. Open Internet Explorer. Go to Tools → Manage Add-ons. If you have the latest version, simply click on the Settings button.
2. Select Toolbars and Extensions. Click Remove/Disable button to remove the browser add-ons listed above.