Let's be honest, it can be quite perplexing: as far as you know all you've recently done online is to download the latest episode of your favorite TV show or or freeware and the next thing you know is you have programs you did not knowingly download on your machine and at the top of that you also get pop ups. Furthermore you can't remember giving permission for them to be installed either. So exactly how were these strange, new programs downloaded and how did they become installed without you giving them the go ahead? And – crucially - how do you make sure this doesn't happen again?
|cr.tractionize.com pop-up claiming that you need to install Extreme Flash Player|
Luckily there are ways of proactively checking to see if you have a Potentially Unwanted Program or an adware on your computer and it's thankfully a pretty easy process. First, you need to check your Windows Control Panel. The programs you intentionally downloaded will be registered with the Windows Add/Remove Programs function; this means that you'll see their names, the program publisher and the date you installed them. Should you stumble across something you don't recognize, you might want to Google it and then, if you've decided you don't want or need it, you should be able to now uninstall it with this function. Keep in mind that there many adware programs that display cr.tractionize.com pop-ups. I listed a few programs below and if I stumble upon new adware programs related to tractionize I will update the list.
Another thing you can do just to make certain that you're as free from adware and PUPs as possible is to click on the 'Installed On' heading in the uninstaller. This will let you sort your installed programs by date. What this will show you is if a program that you intentionally downloaded has the same time and date as an unwanted program, it is very likely that the program you installed was bundled with the PUP. Also, check your web browser settings and extensions list because some adware and PUPs install malicious extensions that can also display annoying pop-up ads on your computer.
Of course most of us don't intentionally download disreputable programs but even if you're pretty sure your download is safe, it may have been repackaged by a third party so that it includes malware. To avoid this you should only download programs from their original websites or from websites you know can be trusted.
To summarize, be careful when online and only download programs if you trust them and you trust the site that you are downloading from. Now, to remove cr.tractionize.com pop-ups and related adware from your computer, please follow the steps in the removal guide below. If you have any questions, please leave a comment below. Good luck and be safe online!
Written by Michael Kaur, http://deletemalware.blogspot.com
Cr.tractionize.com pop-ups removal instructions:
1. First of all, download anti-malware software and run a full system scan. It will detect and remove this infection from your computer. You may then follow the manual removal instructions below to remove the leftover traces of this malware. Hopefully you won't have to do that.
2. Remove cr.tractionize.com related programs from your computer using the Add/Remove Programs control panel (Windows XP) or Uninstall a program control panel (Windows 7 and Windows 8).
Go to the Start Menu. Select Control Panel → Add/Remove Programs.
If you are using Windows Vista or Windows 7, select Control Panel → Uninstall a Program.
If you are using Windows 8, simply drag your mouse pointer to the right edge of the screen, select Search from the list and search for "control panel".
Or you can right-click on a bottom left hot corner (formerly known as the Start button) and select Control panel from there.
3. When the Add/Remove Programs or the Uninstall a Program screen is displayed, scroll through the list of currently installed programs and remove the following:
- HD-Plus 3.5
- and any other recently installed application
Simply select each application and click Remove. If you are using Windows Vista, Windows 7 or Windows 8, click Uninstall up near the top of that window. When you're done, please close the Control Panel screen.
Remove cr.tractionize.com pop-ups from Google Chrome:
1. Click on Chrome menu button. Go to Tools → Extensions.
2. Click on the trashcan icon to remove LyricsSay, Websteroids, SavingsBull, HD-Plus 3.5 and other extensions that you do not recognize.
Remove cr.tractionize.com pop-ups from Mozilla Firefox:
1. Open Mozilla Firefox. Go to Tools → Add-ons.
2. Select Extensions. Click Remove button to remove LyricsSay, Websteroids, SavingsBull, HD-Plus 3.5 and other extensions that you do not recognize.
Remove cr.tractionize.com pop-ups from Internet Explorer:
1. Open Internet Explorer. Go to Tools → Manage Add-ons. If you have the latest version, simply click on the Settings button.
2. Select Toolbars and Extensions. Click Remove/Disable button to remove the browser add-ons listed above.