Unlike much malware, Adware Generic_r.MD is really only designed to cause the end user harm. They will display pop-ups, may even corrupt your data or compromise your PC's security. The majority of adware programs are spread by mass, spam email but some may appear in instant messaging applications or through file-sharing tools. It might be also distributed through the use of Trojan horses. This is where the myth comes in; just like the ancient Greeks, the Trojan's creator must convince you to accept and open the attachment in his email or message, so that he can then attack you from within.
There are a few different varieties of Adware Generic_r.MD; you may come across a browser plug-in that tells you that you need to download it so you can look at an e-card that 'someone' has just sent you. Once you've run the file it will install software that constantly pesters you with pop-up adverts.
That is annoying in itself, but far nastier are the Adware Generic_r variants which give their creator the ability to spy on you, for instance see what are you searching for and what websites you usually visit. Once access has been gained, a portal will be created which the third party can use to connect to your machine. This allows them to look at, change and even delete your data.
Get into the habit of updating Windows regularly so you're always covered by the newest security patches. You should also have a decent anti-virus on your computer and make sure that you run it on a regular basis. Finally, it goes without saying, but don't download programs if you don't know where they're from – and don't open emails or attachments from unknown senders. If you have questions, leave a down comment below. I will be more than happy to help you. Good luck and be safe online!
Written by Michael Kaur, http://deletemalware.blogspot.com
Adware Generic_r.MD removal instructions:
1. First of all, download recommended anti-malware software and run a full system scan. It will detect and remove adware infections from your computer.
2. Remove Adware Generic_r.MD related programs from your computer using the Add/Remove Programs control panel (Windows XP) or Uninstall a program control panel (Windows 7 and Windows 8).
Go to the Start Menu. Select Control Panel → Add/Remove Programs.
If you are using Windows Vista or Windows 7, select Control Panel → Uninstall a Program.
If you are using Windows 8, simply drag your mouse pointer to the right edge of the screen, select Search from the list and search for "control panel".
Or you can right-click on a bottom left hot corner (formerly known as the Start button) and select Control panel from there.
3. When the Add/Remove Programs or the Uninstall a Program screen is displayed, scroll through the list of currently installed programs and remove the following:
- HD-Plus 3.5
- and any other recently installed application
Simply select each application and click Remove. If you are using Windows Vista, Windows 7 or Windows 8, click Uninstall up near the top of that window. When you're done, please close the Control Panel screen.
Remove Adware Generic_r.MD related extensions from Google Chrome:
1. Click on Chrome menu button. Go to Tools → Extensions.
2. Click on the trashcan icon to remove BlocckkTheAds, LyricsSay-1, Websteroids, Quiknowledge, HD-Plus 3.5 and other extensions that you do not recognize.
If the removal option is grayed out then read how to remove extensions installed by enterprise policy.
Remove Adware Generic_r.MD related extensions from Mozilla Firefox:
1. Open Mozilla Firefox. Go to Tools → Add-ons.
2. Select Extensions. Click Remove button to remove BlocckkTheAds, LyricsSay-1, Websteroids, Quiknowledge, HD-Plus 3.5 and other extensions that you do not recognize.
Remove Adware Generic_r.MD related add-ons from Internet Explorer:
1. Open Internet Explorer. Go to Tools → Manage Add-ons. If you have the latest version, simply click on the Settings button.
2. Select Toolbars and Extensions. Click Remove/Disable button to remove the browser add-ons listed above.