Greener Web or GreenerWeb is a threat but it's not a virus. You may find other websites saying that it's a virus but its not. It's not even a dangerous malware. The difference between a particularly evil piece of malware designed to steal your personal information and adware – are very different but one thing is for sure and that it is crucial that you protect yourself by installing reputable anti-malware software on your computer. This is definitely your best chance of stopping foes in their tracks before they have the chance to do you any harm. A decent program should be able to detect and delete all types of malware that are aiming to do you damage. It should also be able to also pick up upon Greener Web which despite not technically a virus is still something that is, if not technically malicious, can still be extremely annoying. Keep in mind that this adware comes bundled with other sketchy programs, so there's always a chance that it's not the only adware installed on your computer.
Greener Web is a pain for a number of reasons. It will plague you with pop up ads for dodgy websites and products you probably don't want. And, perhaps most annoyingly, they also hijack your browser and install malicious browser extensions that can access your data on all websites and even track what websites you are visiting. You're probably already perfectly happy with your current extensions and it goes without saying that one that chooses to install itself without asking your permission is rarely useful and doesn't do much more than confuse you and get on your nerves! Another knock-on effect is that this adware is capable of installing more unwanted software on your machine which will redirect your searches to a website of the PUPs creator's choice instead of the site that you want to visit.
As mentioned you should always have a good anti-malware program installed but you can also be proactive by paying more attention to the things you download. If a website looks disreputable and you're not 100% downloading something from it will be safe, trust your instincts and leave well alone. Also read end user license agreements carefully - because adware and PUPs come packaged with other programs the EULA should reference them. Don't just click 'OK' but read agreements carefully and uncheck boxes that have already been checked saying you want to install 'added extras' to ensure you're not agreeing to install something you don't want. If your computer is already infected with this adware, please follow the steps in the removal guide below. Hopefully, it will help you to solve your problems. And as usual, if you have any questions, please leave a comment below. Good luck and be safe online!
Written by Michael Kaur, http://deletemalware.blogspot.com
Greener Web removal instructions:
1. First of all, download recommended anti-malware software and run a full system scan. It will detect and remove this infection from your computer. You may then follow the manual removal instructions below to remove the leftover traces of this infection. Hopefully you won't have to do that.
2. As this infection is known to be installed by vulnerabilities in out-dated and insecure programs, it is strongly suggested that you use an automatic software update tool to scan for vulnerable programs on your computer.
3. Remove Greener Web program from your computer using the Add/Remove Programs control panel (Windows XP) or Uninstall a program control panel (Windows 7 and Windows 8).
Go to the Start Menu. Select Control Panel → Add/Remove Programs.
If you are using Windows Vista or Windows 7, select Control Panel → Uninstall a Program.
If you are using Windows 8, simply drag your mouse pointer to the right edge of the screen, select Search from the list and search for "control panel".
Or you can right-click on a bottom left hot corner (formerly known as the Start button) and select Control panel from there.
4. When the Add/Remove Programs or the Uninstall a Program screen is displayed, scroll through the list of currently installed programs and remove the following GreenerWeb.
If you are using Windows Vista, Windows 7 or Windows 8, click Uninstall up near the top of that window. When you're done, please close the Control Panel screen.
Remove Greener Web from Google Chrome:
1. Click on Chrome menu button. Go to Tools → Extensions.
2. Click on the trashcan icon to remove the Greener Web 1.0.1 extension.
Remove Greener Web from Mozilla Firefox:
1. Open Mozilla Firefox. Go to Tools → Add-ons.
2. Select Extensions. Click Remove button to the Greener Web 1.0.1 extension.
Remove Greener Web from Internet Explorer:
1. Open Internet Explorer. Go to Tools → Manage Add-ons. If you have the latest version, simply click on the Settings button.
2. Select Toolbars and Extensions. Click Remove/Disable button to remove the Greener Web browser add-on.
Associated Greener Web Files:
- C:\Program Files (x86)\Greener Web\