I can personally testify to finding this phenomenon both irritating and somewhat perplexing. Why do I have a new home page? I didn't change my home page setting. I certainly don't remember installing that new toolbar or search engine. And why has my trusty old search engine been replaced with this unwieldy-looking thing? And... and... just where did these new 'features' come from anyway?
|Speedial Search home page|
The thing is with PUPs and browser hijackers is that they are not, generally speaking, malicious but the sticking point is, you've already got a home page, tool bar, search engine program that you're happy using, so what makes this new version more desirable? Chances are, it properly isn't – which is why you need to know how to stop this happening again. By the way, speedialTlbr.dll file that belongs to this PUP has been detected as malware by multiple anti-virus engines, MalSign.Skodna, for instance.
If you've fallen victim to Speedial Search how do you make sure it doesn't happen again? There are a few things to bear in mind. Watch out when downloading programs or software. Only use websites you trust and don't use third party sites if at all possible. Make sure software and security patches on your PC are the latest versions. This is usually done automatically by the program but it's always a good idea to check for this manually too. If something seems too good to be free, it probably is. Steer clear from free wallpapers, emoticons, free video downlaods and games – no matter how tempting. Likewise, ignore comedy or x-rated videos and don't install new media players or Flash players that insist you need them in order to view clips. This is a sure fire way of ending up with a PUP on your PC! Lastly, if you're still using Windows XP, you need to upgrade to Windows 7 or 8. As of last month (8 April to be precise) Microsoft stopped patching the system leaving it open and vulnerable to not just the creators of PUPs or browser hijackers but to far more serious formals of malware. To remove Speedial Search from your computer, please follow the steps in the removal guide below. If you have any questions, please leave a comment below. Good luck and be safe online!
Written by Michael Kaur, http://deletemalware.blogspot.com
Speedial Search removal instructions:
1. First of all, download recommended anti-malware software and run a full system scan. It will detect and remove this infection from your computer. You may then follow the manual removal instructions below to remove the leftover traces of this infection. Hopefully you won't have to do that.
2. Remove Speedial Search related programs from your computer using the Add/Remove Programs control panel (Windows XP) or Uninstall a program control panel (Windows 7 and Windows 8).
Go to the Start Menu. Select Control Panel → Add/Remove Programs.
If you are using Windows Vista or Windows 7, select Control Panel → Uninstall a Program.
If you are using Windows 8, simply drag your mouse pointer to the right edge of the screen, select Search from the list and search for "control panel".
Or you can right-click on a bottom left hot corner (formerly known as the Start button) and select Control panel from there.
3. When the Add/Remove Programs or the Uninstall a Program screen is displayed, scroll through the list of currently installed programs and remove the following programs:
- Search Protect by conduit
If you are using Windows Vista, Windows 7 or Windows 8, click Uninstall up near the top of that window. When you're done, please close the Control Panel screen.
Remove Speedial Search from Google Chrome:
1. Click on Chrome menu button. Go to Tools → Extensions.
2. Click on the trashcan icon to remove SearchNewTab, Speedial extensions.
3. Then select Settings. Scroll down the page and click Show advanced settings.
4. Find the Reset browser settings section and click Reset browser settings button.
5. In the dialog that appears, click Reset. That's it!
Remove Speedial Search from Mozilla Firefox:
1. Open Mozilla Firefox. Go to Tools → Add-ons.
2. Select Extensions. Remove MySearchDial NewTab, Rock Turner, SaveClicker, Speedial browser extensions. Close Add-ons manger.
3. In the URL address bar, type about:config and hit Enter.
Click I'll be careful, I promise! to continue.
In the search filter at the top, type: speedial
Now, you should see all the preferences that were changed by speedial.com. Right-click on the preference and select Reset to restore default value. Reset all found preferences!
Remove Speedial Search from Internet Explorer:
1. Open Internet Explorer. Go to Tools → Manage Add-ons.
2. Select Search Providers. First of all, choose Live Search search engine and make it your default web search provider (Set as default).
3. Select Speedial and click Remove to remove it. Close the window.