Clearly this is not an ideal situation so how do you know if you have adware on your computer?
Luckily this adware is pretty clearly defined and easy to spot on your machine - it is by its very definition designed to make you look at it after all. There are also a number of other symptoms to keep an eye out for:
- You see ads and pop-ups on pretty much very website you visit and they show up as "Ad by Notification"
- Your browser's homepage keeps changing
- You're inundated with audio/video adverts
- Your tool bar has been replaced by an imposter
- If you uninstall the tool bar it returns the next time you log in
- Your PC has started running noticeably more slowly
- Be careful when viewing downloading software from sites if you don't trust them 100%
- Don't download files from people or sources you don't know, both via websites or in email messages
- Don't download photos, games, and eCards etc if you don't recognize the sender
- Install pop-up blockers
- If you are downloading something ensure you recognize the publisher's name beforehand
- Close dialogue and pop up windows by clicking the red 'x' in the corner as clicking 'OK' or 'Yes' can also signify that you're agreeing to install malware or spyware
- Read End User License Agreements carefully and make sure you know what you're agreeing to download, especially when programs are free
- Watch out for ActiveX controls as these are susceptible to not just adware but nastier forms of software such as spyware and other malware. The rule of thumb is if you haven't intentionally requested an ActiveX control definitely make sure you do not give your permission to install
If you have questions, please leave a comment down below. I will be more than happy to help you. Good luck and be safe online!
Written by Michael Kaur, http://deletemalware.blogspot.com
"Ad by Notification" Removal Guide:
1. First of all, download anti-malware software and run a full system scan. It will detect and remove this infection from your computer. You may then follow the manual removal instructions below to remove the leftover traces of this malware. Hopefully you won't have to do that.
2. Remove "Ad by Notification" related programs from your computer using the Add/Remove Programs control panel (Windows XP) or Uninstall a program control panel (Windows 7 and Windows 8).
Go to the Start Menu. Select Control Panel → Add/Remove Programs.
If you are using Windows Vista or Windows 7, select Control Panel → Uninstall a Program.
If you are using Windows 8, simply drag your mouse pointer to the right edge of the screen, select Search from the list and search for "control panel".
Or you can right-click on a bottom left hot corner (formerly known as the Start button) and select Control panel from there.
3. When the Add/Remove Programs or the Uninstall a Program screen is displayed, scroll through the list of currently installed programs and remove the following:
- and any other recently installed application
Simply select each application and click Remove. If you are using Windows Vista, Windows 7 or Windows 8, click Uninstall up near the top of that window. When you're done, please close the Control Panel screen.
Remove "Ad by Notification" related extensions from Google Chrome:
1. Click on Chrome menu button. Go to Tools → Extensions.
2. Click on the trashcan icon to remove PriceChop, SuperFish, MediaPlayerV1, HD-Plus 3.5 and other extensions that you do not recognize.
If the removal option is grayed out then read how to remove extensions installed by enterprise policy.
Remove "Ad by Notification" related extensions from Mozilla Firefox:
1. Open Mozilla Firefox. Go to Tools → Add-ons.
2. Select Extensions. Click Remove button to remove PriceChop, SuperFish, MediaPlayerV1, HD-Plus 3.5 and other extensions that you do not recognize.
Remove "Ad by Notification" related add-ons from Internet Explorer:
1. Open Internet Explorer. Go to Tools → Manage Add-ons. If you have the latest version, simply click on the Settings button.
2. Select Toolbars and Extensions. Click Remove/Disable button to remove the browser add-ons listed above.