But just what is adware, how does it infect your PC, tablet or other Internet enabled device – and what can you do to prevent yourself from falling prey to it?
|SalesMagnet advert promoting sketchy software dowload|
Obviously, this being advertising, SalesMagnet's main reason for existing is to generate an income, either for the companies who are advertising their goods or services within the advert, or for the actual creators of the adware itself. Most of us wouldn't choose to unleash a stream of Internet advertising and hard sell marketing on ourselves, which is precisely why this adware is usually downloaded without you knowing about it. It can be hidden in various websites but more often than not it is bundled with a software program that you do genuinely wish to download. For example, file-sharing programs which are free often have adware packaged with them, meaning that when you download them you'll be downloading the SalesMagnet adware too. This is because the developers of the free software are using the adware to create an income source which they would not otherwise be earning. Thus, adware is often seen as not as harmful as other types of malware, and more as a 'necessary evil' i.e. if you want that free program you must accept that it is going to be bundled with it too.
The problem is that SalesMagnet is not just annoying; it also has a detrimental effect on your online user experience. This is because it installs a component on your PC that tracks which websites and products you are browsing and then sends this data back to the advertising company or developer so that they are able to tailor the adverts that you see to your tastes or interests. And this component, which is constantly toiling away in the background on your PC is slowing down your operating system and also your Internet connection, as it continually relays data to its source.
The solution is to make sure you always read the small print on software license agreements so you know EXACTLY what you're downloading.
If you don't know how to get rid of annoying and misleading SalesMagnet ads and other malware from your computer, please follow the steps in the removal guide below. If you have any questions, please leave a comment down below. Good luck and be safe online!
Written by Michael Kaur, http://deletemalware.blogspot.com
SalesMagnet Removal Guide:
1. First of all, download anti-malware software and run a full system scan. It will detect and remove this infection from your computer. You may then follow the manual removal instructions below to remove the leftover traces of this malware. Hopefully you won't have to do that.
2. Remove SalesMagnet related programs from your computer using the Add/Remove Programs control panel (Windows XP) or Uninstall a program control panel (Windows 7 and Windows 8).
Go to the Start Menu. Select Control Panel → Add/Remove Programs.
If you are using Windows Vista or Windows 7, select Control Panel → Uninstall a Program.
If you are using Windows 8, simply drag your mouse pointer to the right edge of the screen, select Search from the list and search for "control panel".
Or you can right-click on a bottom left hot corner (formerly known as the Start button) and select Control panel from there.
3. When the Add/Remove Programs or the Uninstall a Program screen is displayed, scroll through the list of currently installed programs and remove the following:
- and any other recently installed application
Simply select each application and click Remove. If you are using Windows Vista, Windows 7 or Windows 8, click Uninstall up near the top of that window. When you're done, please close the Control Panel screen.
Remove SalesMagnet related extensions from Google Chrome:
1. Click on Chrome menu button. Go to Tools → Extensions.
2. Click on the trashcan icon to remove SalesMagnet, MediaPlayerV1, HD-Plus 3.5 and other extensions that you do not recognize.
If the removal option is grayed out then read how to remove extensions installed by enterprise policy.
Remove SalesMagnet related extensions from Mozilla Firefox:
1. Open Mozilla Firefox. Go to Tools → Add-ons.
2. Select Extensions. Click Remove button to remove SalesMagnet, MediaPlayerV1, HD-Plus 3.5 and other extensions that you do not recognize.
Remove SalesMagnet related add-ons from Internet Explorer:
1. Open Internet Explorer. Go to Tools → Manage Add-ons. If you have the latest version, simply click on the Settings button.
2. Select Toolbars and Extensions. Click Remove/Disable button to remove the browser add-ons listed above.