PUP is a Potentially Unwanted Program. It doesn't sound too scary, what with the 'potentially' part of its name softening the blow somewhat but trust us when we say this is likely to be something that you really don't want installed on your computer. Currently, it's detected as PUP.Optional.Vosteran but I'm pretty sure most anti-virus engines will update databases soon with various detection names. Once installed, Vosteran Search adds browser extensions and creates Windows services that run every time Windows starts. As a result, you will notice multiple instances of Vosteran.exe on your computer. Malicious browser extensions are Vosteran 2.3.0 and Vosteran Search 1.0.2. These extensions will change your home page to Vosteran.com and your search engine provider to Vosteran Search.
Part of the problem of this malware is the fact that we really don't know what it can do to our operating systems or our data – are we at risk of identity theft or fraud, or will our files be corrupted or destroyed? A malware attack can leave us in a state of panic.
Sadly for us and the millions of other innocent computer users out there, malware is going nowhere soon and as developers become ever more sophisticated in their means of attacking us, protecting yourself is now more important than ever before.
How is Vosteran Search installed?
It is normally bundled with free software programs which means that when you install something on your computer you really need to read the software license agreement (i.e. the Terms and Conditions) properly so that you are 100% sure what it is you are actually downloading.
What will happen if I've been hijacked by Vosteran Search?
The majority of Potentially Unwanted Programs and browser hijackers leave you vulnerable to attack by adware – advertising supported software. These adverts may be pop-up or pop-under windows or banner ads. Adware is annoying and it also monitors which websites you're visiting so that the owner of the adware can choose which adverts are displayed on your PC. For example, your home page was probably Google but now you have a different home page with ads that are very often misleading. So, despite the fact that you've installed a PUP and a browser hijacker not only your search results will be redirected to sketchy websites, but you will also get ads on your computer. What is more, it's not a very comforting thought to know that you're being spied upon. In addition to this, Vosteran Search will also install a new toolbar in your browser. And far from being an improvement on your old toolbar, you'll soon weary of this one as it will generally have less useful functions, merely serving as a device that redirects you to websites of its own choosing.
How do I defend myself against Vosteran Search?
As mentioned you need to read license agreements thoroughly. Most PUPs will be mentioned in them because the software developers argue that a PUP is not actually malware. As always, you should also make sure you have a good anti-virus program installed on your computer and that it is the most up to date version of it too. Run it regularly and also keep an eye out for suspicious new toolbars, home pages or browsers – these are a very clear sign that you have been attacked by a Potentially Unwanted Program.
To remove Vosteran.com Search from your computer, please follow the steps in the removal guide below. If you have any questions, please leave a comment down below. Good luck and be safe online!
Written by Michael Kaur, http://deletemalware.blogspot.com
Vosteran Search Removal Guide:
1. First of all, download recommended anti-malware software and run a full system scan. It will detect and remove this infection from your computer. You may then follow the manual removal instructions below to remove the leftover traces of this infection. Hopefully you won't have to do that.
2. As this infection is known to be installed by vulnerabilities in out-dated and insecure programs, it is strongly suggested that you use an automatic software update tool to scan for vulnerable programs on your computer.
3. Remove Vosteran Search related programs from your computer using the Add/Remove Programs control panel (Windows XP) or Uninstall a program control panel (Windows 7 and Windows 8).
Go to the Start Menu. Select Control Panel → Add/Remove Programs.
If you are using Windows Vista or Windows 7, select Control Panel → Uninstall a Program.
If you are using Windows 8, simply drag your mouse pointer to the right edge of the screen, select Search from the list and search for "control panel".
Or you can right-click on a bottom left hot corner (formerly known as the Start button) and select Control panel from there.
4. When the Add/Remove Programs or the Uninstall a Program screen is displayed, scroll through the list of currently installed programs and remove the following programs:
- Vosteran Search
- Vosteran 2.3.0
If you are using Windows Vista, Windows 7 or Windows 8, click Uninstall up near the top of that window. When you're done, please close the Control Panel screen.
Remove Vostera Search from Google Chrome:
1. Click on Chrome menu button. Go to Tools → Extensions.
2. Click on the trashcan icon to remove Vosteran 2.3.0, Vosteran Search 1.0.2, BookmarkTube extensions.
3. Then select Settings. Scroll down the page and click Show advanced settings.
4. Find the Reset browser settings section and click Reset browser settings button.
5. In the dialog that appears, click Reset. That's it!
Remove Vostera Search from Mozilla Firefox:
1. Open Mozilla Firefox. Go to Tools → Add-ons.
2. Select Extensions. Remove Vosteran 2.3.0, Vosteran Search 1.0.2, BookmarkTube browser extensions. Close Add-ons manger.
3. In the URL address bar, type about:config and hit Enter.
Click I'll be careful, I promise! to continue.
In the search filter at the top, type: vosteran
Now, you should see all the preferences that were changed by vosteran.com. Right-click on the preference and select Reset to restore default value. Reset all found preferences!
Remove Vostera Search from Internet Explorer:
1. Open Internet Explorer. Go to Tools → Manage Add-ons.
2. Select Search Providers. First of all, choose Live Search search engine and make it your default web search provider (Set as default).
3. Select Vosteran Search and click Remove to remove it. Close the window.