But no matter how diligent you are about keeping your security software up to date, the downside is that Potentially Unwanted Programs, or PUPs, can sometimes sneak through and install Downloaditkeep. Therefore you should do all you can to protect yourself when you're using your computer, especially when you're connected to the Internet.
PUPs are programs which are normally installed on your computer when you download some free software or a free application from the Internet. From TV shows to music and from PDF readers to games, nothing is safe from being bundled with a Potentially Unwanted Program. Of course, many of us take downloading apps and software for granted, both in our professional and in our personal lives so how so we download things safely?
Of course, just because a PUP may occasionally be able to wriggle its way past your strongest line of defense, your anti-virus software, that doesn't mean that you shouldn't have one installed. It's crucial if you want to protect yourself from the myriad of other Internet nasties lurking on the World Wide Web. And some good anti-virus programs can detect PUPs as well as Downloaditkeep malware. The reason they might not, however, is because that as Potentially Unwanted Programs are not considered to be malware some security programs are not able to spot them.
This is because they are potentially unwanted – as opposed to 100% no thank you very much unwanted! People who develop PUPs argue that these programs have a genuine use because they are toolbars, home pages and browsers despite the fact that they can display ads by downloaditkeep. They are not designed to cause you harm, so they say. And whilst that is technically true, the fact is that PUPs fall between the cracks somewhat. Okay, so they won't corrupt your files or steal your data but what they will do is to replace your regular toolbar, home page or browser with one designed by the developer. And try searching for anything in one of these and you'll quickly find that you’re redirected to a website that the developer wants you to visit, whether that’s to spend money or simply increase web traffic.
Clearly it is in our own best interests to protect ourselves from PUPs and downloaditkeep ad malware and you can do this by paying extra attention to the License Agreement when you're downloading programs or apps. The developers usually reference a PUP in the small print so make sure you know exactly what you're installing before you hit the OK button.
If you have any questions, please leave a comment down below. Good luck – and try not to get bitten!
Written by Michael Kaur, http://deletemalware.blogspot.com
Downloaditkeep Ads Removal Guide:
1. First of all, download anti-malware software and run a full system scan. It will detect and remove this infection from your computer. You may then follow the manual removal instructions below to remove the leftover traces of this malware. Hopefully you won't have to do that.
2. Remove downloaditkeep related programs from your computer using the Add/Remove Programs control panel (Windows XP) or Uninstall a program control panel (Windows 7 and Windows 8).
Go to the Start Menu. Select Control Panel → Add/Remove Programs.
If you are using Windows Vista or Windows 7, select Control Panel → Uninstall a Program.
If you are using Windows 8, simply drag your mouse pointer to the right edge of the screen, select Search from the list and search for "control panel".
Or you can right-click on a bottom left hot corner (formerly known as the Start button) and select Control panel from there.
3. When the Add/Remove Programs or the Uninstall a Program screen is displayed, scroll through the list of currently installed programs and remove the following:
- and any other recently installed application
Simply select each application and click Remove. If you are using Windows Vista, Windows 7 or Windows 8, click Uninstall up near the top of that window. When you're done, please close the Control Panel screen.
Remove downloaditkeep related extensions from Google Chrome:
1. Click on Chrome menu button. Go to Tools → Extensions.
2. Click on the trashcan icon to remove downloaditkeep, FlasehCouPoN, RoyalShopperiAoppp, HD-Plus 3.5 and other extensions that you do not recognize.
If the removal option is grayed out then read how to remove extensions installed by enterprise policy.
Remove downloaditkeep related extensions from Mozilla Firefox:
1. Open Mozilla Firefox. Go to Tools → Add-ons.
2. Select Extensions. Click Remove button to remove downloaditkeep, FlasehCouPoN, RoyalShopperiAoppp, HD-Plus 3.5 and other extensions that you do not recognize.
Remove downloaditkeeprelated add-ons from Internet Explorer:
1. Open Internet Explorer. Go to Tools → Manage Add-ons. If you have the latest version, simply click on the Settings button.
2. Select Toolbars and Extensions. Click Remove/Disable button to remove the browser add-ons listed above.