A Potentially Unwanted Program, as the name implies, is likely to be a program that you don't really want running on your PC. So what does a PUP look like and how do you know if you have one installed? PUPs are most commonly associated with tool bars although they can also manifest themselves as search engines, home pages or as in this case a malicious browser extension that redirects users to dvl.cooloideas.com and asks to install software updates. Whatever form they take, they usually have one thing in common with each other and that is to redirect your web searches to websites of their own choice. They can drive you absolutely nuts! After all, if you want to visit your favourite news website, a forum you're a member of, or you fancy buying a new pair of sneakers online, the last thing you want to be battling against is being constantly sent to dvl.cooloideas.com to download somthing.
With that in mind, let's take a look at how you defend yourself when it comes to dvl.cooloideas.com pop-ups. To learn how to best protect yourself it helps to have just a little general background and know how a PUP or adware installs itself on your PC. In addition to this, knowing your computer and being aware of which programs you have installed on it is beneficial too. This gives you a far better fighting chance of spotting if your computer is running differently to normal or is displaying any strange behavior or previously unseen browsers or tool bars.
How are Potentially Unwanted Programs installed?
In the majority of cases PUPs come bundled with other software programs. This is either because a successful company has given a less established company a helping hand, or because the newcomer has rather cheekily, packaged their program with another company's, without telling them.
Regardless of how your Potentially Unwanted Program was packaged, all you need to be aware of is that when you're installing an application or program, there might be an unknown quantity hiding in its shadow. To be fair, occasionally you may find this added extra genuinely useful; however, more often than not it will simply be an unwanted nuisance or distraction, dvl.cooloideas.com pop-ups to name it.
How do I make sure I'm not also installing PUPs and adware?
Potentially Unwanted Programs and adware usually receive a nod to their existence in the End User License Agreement that you'll see displayed when you're installing an item of software. Therefore you should make sure that you read this carefully and make a note of any additional programs that are mentioned. Pay particular attention to check boxes which may need to be checked or unchecked in order to avoid also installing a PUP.
In order to stop dvl.cooloideas.com pop-ups, please follow the steps in the removal guide below. If you have any questions, please leave a comment down below. Good luck and be safe online!
Written by Michael Kaur, http://deletemalware.blogspot.com
Dvl.cooloideas.com Pop-ups Removal Guide:
1. First of all, download anti-malware software and run a full system scan. It will detect and remove this infection from your computer. You may then follow the manual removal instructions below to remove the leftover traces of this malware. Hopefully you won't have to do that.
2. Remove dvl.cooloideas.com pop-up related programs from your computer using the Add/Remove Programs control panel (Windows XP) or Uninstall a program control panel (Windows 7 and Windows 8).
Go to the Start Menu. Select Control Panel → Add/Remove Programs.
If you are using Windows Vista or Windows 7, select Control Panel → Uninstall a Program.
If you are using Windows 8, simply drag your mouse pointer to the right edge of the screen, select Search from the list and search for "control panel".
Or you can right-click on a bottom left hot corner (formerly known as the Start button) and select Control panel from there.
3. When the Add/Remove Programs or the Uninstall a Program screen is displayed, scroll through the list of currently installed programs and remove the following:
- HD-Plus 3.5
- and any other recently installed application
Simply select each application and click Remove. If you are using Windows Vista, Windows 7 or Windows 8, click Uninstall up near the top of that window. When you're done, please close the Control Panel screen.
Remove dvl.cooloideas.com pop-up related extensions from Google Chrome:
1. Click on Chrome menu button. Go to Tools → Extensions.
2. Click on the trashcan icon to remove SaferSurf, LyricsSay-1, TinyWallet, BlockAndSurf, HD-Plus 3.5 and other extensions that you do not recognize.
If the removal option is grayed out then read how to remove extensions installed by enterprise policy.
Remove dvl.cooloideas.com pop-up related extensions from Mozilla Firefox:
1. Open Mozilla Firefox. Go to Tools → Add-ons.
2. Select Extensions. Click Remove button to remove SaferSurf, LyricsSay-1, TinyWallet, BlockAndSurf, HD-Plus 3.5 and other extensions that you do not recognize.
Remove dvl.cooloideas.com pop-up related add-ons from Internet Explorer:
1. Open Internet Explorer. Go to Tools → Manage Add-ons. If you have the latest version, simply click on the Settings button.
2. Select Toolbars and Extensions. Click Remove/Disable button to remove the browser add-ons listed above.