So if you've spotted - and let's face it, that's not hard - ads by TV Wizard etc on your computer but you're not sure how or why it got there, you can check out your PC's Windows Add/Remove Programs option. Anything you have previously knowingly downloaded will have been registered here and will include pertinent details such as the date it was installed as well as the publisher.
Spot something you don't recognize? You should be able to uninstall it here. If you're not familiar with all of the programs you have installed on your desktop or laptop, you can check their credentials with a simple Google search. And would it be a good time to mention that now would be a fantastic time to become acquainted with your programs! Please note that TV Wizard might be installed under a different name. It's not always listed as TV Wizard program. In that case, simply list your programs by install date and I'm sure you will notice some programs that were recently installed on your computer without your knowledge. They are probably causing TV Wizard ads to show up on your computer.
Once you've removed the offending program you will no doubt be eager to learn how you can avoid being infiltrated by TV Wizard in the future. After all, their aggravating behavior such as constantly redirecting your Internet searches to websites of the PUP developer's choice, their penchant for infesting your computer with adware pop up windows and the way they can often make your PC run slowly and sluggishly are not things you should have to put up with.
They key to avoiding TV Wizard and its intrusive ads is a) vigilance and b) staying on top of your security.
For example, because the majority of PUPs come bundled with another program (both legitimate programs as well as...not so legitimate ones) you need to start reading End User License Agreements properly. We know they're boring, but then so is being endlessly redirected to websites you don't want to visit! PUPs are often given a mention in EULAs and you will need to check or uncheck any boxes accordingly to make sure you're not downloading any unwanted added extras. You may avoid installing TV Wizard on your computer just by reading EULA and uncheking the "offer" during the software download or installation.
In addition to this you also need to make sure your antivirus or anti-malware programs are up to date, as are all the programs you currently have installed on your PC, and your security patches. It might seem like a pain - but then so is getting bitten by a PUP!
If you have any questions, please leave a comment down below. Good luck and be safe online!
Written by Michael Kaur, http://deletemalware.blogspot.com
TV Wizard Ads Removal Guide:
1. First of all, download anti-malware software and run a full system scan. It will detect and remove this infection from your computer. You may then follow the manual removal instructions below to remove the leftover traces of this malware. Hopefully you won't have to do that.
2. Remove TV Wizard related programs from your computer using the Add/Remove Programs control panel (Windows XP) or Uninstall a program control panel (Windows 7 and Windows 8).
Go to the Start Menu. Select Control Panel → Add/Remove Programs.
If you are using Windows Vista or Windows 7, select Control Panel → Uninstall a Program.
If you are using Windows 8, simply drag your mouse pointer to the right edge of the screen, select Search from the list and search for "control panel".
Or you can right-click on a bottom left hot corner (formerly known as the Start button) and select Control panel from there.
3. When the Add/Remove Programs or the Uninstall a Program screen is displayed, scroll through the list of currently installed programs and remove the following:
- TV Wizard
- and any other recently installed application
Simply select each application and click Remove. If you are using Windows Vista, Windows 7 or Windows 8, click Uninstall up near the top of that window. When you're done, please close the Control Panel screen.
Remove TV Wizard related extensions from Google Chrome:
1. Click on Chrome menu button. Go to Tools → Extensions.
2. Click on the trashcan icon to remove TV Wizard, FlasehCouPoN, RoyalShopperiAoppp, HD-Plus 3.5 and other extensions that you do not recognize.
If the removal option is grayed out then read how to remove extensions installed by enterprise policy.
Remove TV Wizard related extensions from Mozilla Firefox:
1. Open Mozilla Firefox. Go to Tools → Add-ons.
2. Select Extensions. Click Remove button to remove TV Wizard, FlasehCouPoN, RoyalShopperiAoppp, HD-Plus 3.5 and other extensions that you do not recognize.
Remove TV Wizard add-ons from Internet Explorer:
1. Open Internet Explorer. Go to Tools → Manage Add-ons. If you have the latest version, simply click on the Settings button.
2. Select Toolbars and Extensions. Click Remove/Disable button to remove the browser add-ons listed above.