Trojan horses and smss-DoOoM purport to boast useful or fun features – so that you download or install them - but in actual fact their only mission is to cause you harm. The good news is that it is generally quite easy to spot when you have this malware installed on your computer and removable media device like USB flash drive. If you have been infected by this virus there are a number of signs which highlight the fact that you are a victim. First of all, your computer probably takes longer than normal to boot and you may get pop-up windows on logon with strange information pointing to smss-DoOoMs.vbs or smss-DoOoM.vbe. Secondly, your operating system is running slowly and programs keep on crashing. Then software you don't remember installing is now in your list of programs or on your desktop often files like smss-DoOoM.lnk and smss-DoOoMp.lnk. The same files can be found on your USB flash drive.
Defending yourself against Trojan Horse and smss-DoOoM malware. The other piece of good news is that there are things you can do to limit the chance of smss-DoOoM virus attacking your computer and removable media device.
- First and foremost, install a good, well known brand of anti-malware on your PC. Make sure you run it regularly and that you always have the latest version installed.
- Disable the Autorun functionality in Windows.
- Install a firewall to lower the chances of a Trojan being able to connect to your operating system.
- Ensure your security software is always the newest version too with the most up to date patches and latest upgrades.
- Be wary of spam email and never open attached files or click on links in messages sent from a sender that you don't know.
- Exercise caution when downloading software. Don't use third party websites and make sure programs come from a trusted source.
- Try and refrain from visiting websites of a 'dubious' nature such as adult and gambling sites – these are often targeted by Trojan Horse developers.
If you have any questions, please leave a comment down below. Good luck and be safe online!
Written by Michael Kaur, http://deletemalware.blogspot.com
smss-DoOoM virus removal instructions:
1. First of all, download recommended anti-malware software and run a full system scan. It will detect and remove this infection from your computer. Make sure to scan your removable device too!
2. Download and run TDSSKiller. Press the button Start scan for the utility to start scanning.
3. Wait for the scan and disinfection process to be over. Then click Continue. Please reboot your computer after the disinfection is over.