What is SalePlus?
It's a computer program that has been created to show you advertising when you are connected to the Internet. Some of these adverts are links, others are banner or box ads by SalePlus and some are extremely annoying pop-up or pop-under windows. Some adverts may be for products or services you have zero interest in, while yet others are spookily similar – possibly even the same – as things that you have recently been looking at online.
How does SalePlus end up on your computer?
Normally you'll wind up with it on your computer because you downloaded or installed something on your device. More often than not this thing will be a freebie. It could be a file, a software program, a viewer that allows you to watch video clips, or an application. And there are not many of us these days who can say, hand on heart, that we don't regularly download TV series, music and games in our leisure time - and more useful tools or programs for our working lives too, of course. Therefore, that puts most of us in the high risk category, meaning we all stand a good chance of downloading this adware. I found an installer of a popular program called WhatsApp which obviously came from a dodgy website rather than the official one and as you can see it had SalePlus adware bundled with it.
SalePlus is a plugin you can easily add to your browser, which enables you to get access to thousands of money-saving coupons and start getting special coupon offers while shopping online, and the best part is that all this is completely free for you! SalePlus is ad-supported software that is provided at no cost and may display advertisements in websites as you view them. This may include links by text-enhance and coupons from SalePlus.You may also have fallen prey to this adware by visiting a website that has been compromised and has malware hidden in it. This will trigger the installation and without so much as a warning you may have adware on your PC.
Who creates or uses adware?
Programmers who share or give away programs, apps, files or software for free need to cover their costs – and they normally do that by packaging adware with the freeware or shareware – the item they are letting you have at no cost. SalePlus is a great example of that.
How do you know if you have SalePlus on your computer?
Aside from the numerous adverts you are now seeing there are a number of other clear tell tale signs. These include your computer running more slowly, your Internet crashing frequently, and web pages being slow to load. You may also have spotted a new browser or home page that has been installed without your knowledge.
How do you prevent adware from infecting you?
Because SalePlus normally comes bundled with freeware or shareware you need to be careful when downloading and make sure you read the small print in License Agreements carefully – these will tell you, albeit not very clearly, what exactly you are installing. And – though we hope we don't really have to state the obvious – make sure you have a good anti-malware program installed on your computer! If it's already too late and your computer has been compromised, please follow the steps in the removal guide below. If you have any questions, please leave a comment down below. Good luck and be safe online!
Written by Michael Kaur, http://deletemalware.blogspot.com
SalePlus Ads Removal Guide:
1. First of all, download anti-malware software and run a full system scan. It will detect and remove this infection from your computer. You may then follow the manual removal instructions below to remove the leftover traces of this malware. Hopefully you won't have to do that.
2. Remove SalePlus related programs from your computer using the Add/Remove Programs control panel (Windows XP) or Uninstall a program control panel (Windows 7 and Windows 8).
Go to the Start Menu. Select Control Panel → Add/Remove Programs.
If you are using Windows Vista or Windows 7, select Control Panel → Uninstall a Program.
If you are using Windows 8, simply drag your mouse pointer to the right edge of the screen, select Search from the list and search for "control panel".
Or you can right-click on a bottom left hot corner (formerly known as the Start button) and select Control panel from there.
3. When the Add/Remove Programs or the Uninstall a Program screen is displayed, scroll through the list of currently installed programs and remove the following:
- and any other recently installed application
Simply select each application and click Remove. If you are using Windows Vista, Windows 7 or Windows 8, click Uninstall up near the top of that window. When you're done, please close the Control Panel screen.
Remove SalePlus related extensions from Google Chrome:
1. Click on Chrome menu button. Go to Tools → Extensions.
2. Click on the trashcan icon to remove SalePlus, MediaPlayerV1, Gosave, HD-Plus 3.5 and other extensions that you do not recognize.
If the removal option is grayed out then read how to remove extensions installed by enterprise policy.
Remove SalePlus related extensions from Mozilla Firefox:
1. Open Mozilla Firefox. Go to Tools → Add-ons.
2. Select Extensions. Click Remove button to remove SalePlus, Gosave, MediaPlayerV1, HD-Plus 3.5 and other extensions that you do not recognize.
Remove Special Box related add-ons from Internet Explorer:
1. Open Internet Explorer. Go to Tools → Manage Add-ons. If you have the latest version, simply click on the Settings button.
2. Select Toolbars and Extensions. Click Remove/Disable button to remove the browser add-ons listed above.