What is fun4u adware?
This adware is not usually considered to be as much of a problem as some of the other types of malware, yet it still falls into the category of malicious software and for that reason alone you should take steps to guard yourself against it.
But what can adware do? It is designed to show you adverts tagged "fun4u ads" or display pop-ups "Powered by fun4u" when you're browsing the web. And more often than not, the adverts that you see are customized to meet your interests or needs, often showing you products or services that you have recently been looking at online. But how does this adware know what you have been looking at? If it all sounds a little bit sinister and – well creepy – then you would not be wrong because an adware program includes a component which has been designed to spy on you. It tracks the websites that you visit and monitors what you look at on those sites and then relays this data back to the adware's programmer. This enables them to then customize which fun4u ads to show you, increasing the chances of you clicking on them and driving traffic back to the site.
What is more, this adware creates multiple files on your computer that can slow down your system and internet speed. Files created by fun4u:
- C:\Program Files (x86)\fun4u
Who creates adware, and why?
A programmer will create fun4u adware in order to recoup some, or all, of the costs they incurred when they created a program that they make available on the Internet for free. And that's why some people don't have a problem with adware, despite the fact that it spies on you. After all, you can choose to ignore "Powered by fun4u" adverts – no one is making you click on them – and at the end of the day, you are getting something for free.
What other people do mind, however, is the fact that unscrupulous programmers may decide to get more bang for their buck by then selling on the information they have garnered on you to another party. Of course while a programmer might simply be trying to drive traffic and sales to a legitimate website, this third party might have more criminal activity in mind.
So how do you avoid the unknown perils of adware? Install a reputable anti-malware program on your PC and make sure you keep it up to date so it stands the best chance of catching all the latest types of adware.
If you don't know how to stop ads 'Powered by fun4u' and remove this adware from your computer, please follow the steps in the removal guide below. If you have any questions, please leave a comment down below. Good luck and be safe online!
Written by Michael Kaur, http://deletemalware.blogspot.com
"Powered by fun4u" Ads Removal Guide:
1. First of all, download anti-malware software and run a full system scan. It will detect and remove this infection from your computer. You may then follow the manual removal instructions below to remove the leftover traces of this malware. Hopefully you won't have to do that.
2. Remove fun4u related programs from your computer using the Add/Remove Programs control panel (Windows XP) or Uninstall a program control panel (Windows 7 and Windows 8).
Go to the Start Menu. Select Control Panel → Add/Remove Programs.
If you are using Windows Vista or Windows 7, select Control Panel → Uninstall a Program.
If you are using Windows 8, simply drag your mouse pointer to the right edge of the screen, select Search from the list and search for "control panel".
Or you can right-click on a bottom left hot corner (formerly known as the Start button) and select Control panel from there.
3. When the Add/Remove Programs or the Uninstall a Program screen is displayed, scroll through the list of currently installed programs and remove the following:
- and any other recently installed application
Simply select each application and click Remove. If you are using Windows Vista, Windows 7 or Windows 8, click Uninstall up near the top of that window. When you're done, please close the Control Panel screen.
Remove fun4u related extensions from Google Chrome:
1. Click on Chrome menu button. Go to Tools → Extensions.
2. Click on the trashcan icon to remove fun4u, MediaPlayerV1, Gosave, HD-Plus 3.5 and other extensions that you do not recognize.
If the removal option is grayed out then read how to remove extensions installed by enterprise policy.
Remove fun4u related extensions from Mozilla Firefox:
1. Open Mozilla Firefox. Go to Tools → Add-ons.
2. Select Extensions. Click Remove button to remove fun4u, Gosave, MediaPlayerV1, HD-Plus 3.5 and other extensions that you do not recognize.
Remove fun4u related add-ons from Internet Explorer:
1. Open Internet Explorer. Go to Tools → Manage Add-ons. If you have the latest version, simply click on the Settings button.
2. Select Toolbars and Extensions. Click Remove/Disable button to remove the browser add-ons listed above.