What is DiscountSmasher?
DiscountSmasher or Discount Smasher is a computer software program that has been created with the intention of displaying advertising on your computer's screen with a little "Ads by DiscountSmasher" caption. Actually, scratch that as it's not just desktops and laptops that are affected by this adware; tablets and smartphones are also in the firing line too. The type of DiscountSmasher adverts you see vary from pop-up windows or banners to smaller, less intrusive ads that nestle in among the other content on a website.
How does DiscountSmasher affect you? Does it cause problems?
Although most people agree that DiscountSmasher is not the worst thing to have installed upon your computer, it is still malware. And that's because simply displaying online adverts is not the only thing it does. If you've been infected with a nasty strain of adware you will be driven nuts by the amount of Discount Smasher pop-up adverts that you are bombarded with. Even closing them has no effect - click that little 'x' in the corner of the window and they'll simply pop right back up again.
Worse still, these pop-ups are rarely for something useful – in fact many people would label them downright offensive. For example if you are unlucky enough to be infected by the same adware that I was you'll be subjected to X rated manga cartoon images!
And that's not all; Adware also slows your CPU and your internet connection down. That's because your computer is now struggling to cope with the additional amount of energy it must expend while the adware is running on your machine and loading malicious executable files from C:\Program Files (x86)\DiscountSmasher folder. Your internet, meanwhile, is being used by the adware to constantly relay data that it collects about your browsing habits. This is so that the adware's programmer can customize the ads by DiscountSmasher you see and send you ads for products or services that you have recently been looking at. Yes, adware spies on you too!
Anything else you ask? Well, yes, in fact there is. It can also negatively interact with other programs or apps you have installed on your computer or phone. This can cause these programs to crash when you try and open them and may disable some of their functionality. And if the adware is interacting in this manner with your anti-virus software, then you could be in big trouble.
Finally (yes, there's more!) DiscountSmasher can even install a new tool bar, browser or home page and will redirect all of your searches to websites that the programmer wants you to visit. Adware: it's not turning out to be an innocent marketing tool after all, is it?
If your computer is already infected and you don't know how to stop ads by DiscountSmasher and remove this aggressive malware from the system, please follow the steps in the removal guide below. If you have any questions, please leave a comment down below. Good luck and be safe online!
Written by Michael Kaur, http://deletemalware.blogspot.com
Ads by DiscountSmasher Removal Guide:
1. First of all, download anti-malware software and run a full system scan. It will detect and remove this infection from your computer. You may then follow the manual removal instructions below to remove the leftover traces of this malware. Hopefully you won't have to do that.
2. Remove DiscountSmasher related programs from your computer using the Add/Remove Programs control panel (Windows XP) or Uninstall a program control panel (Windows 7 and Windows 8).
Go to the Start Menu. Select Control Panel → Add/Remove Programs.
If you are using Windows Vista or Windows 7, select Control Panel → Uninstall a Program.
If you are using Windows 8, simply drag your mouse pointer to the right edge of the screen, select Search from the list and search for "control panel".
Or you can right-click on a bottom left hot corner (formerly known as the Start button) and select Control panel from there.
3. When the Add/Remove Programs or the Uninstall a Program screen is displayed, scroll through the list of currently installed programs and remove the following:
- Active Discount
- and any other recently installed application
Simply select each application and click Remove. If you are using Windows Vista, Windows 7 or Windows 8, click Uninstall up near the top of that window. When you're done, please close the Control Panel screen.
Remove DiscountSmasher related extensions from Google Chrome:
1. Click on Chrome menu button. Go to Tools → Extensions.
2. Click on the trashcan icon to remove DiscountSmasher, Active Discount, MediaPlayerV1, Gosave, HD-Plus 3.5 and other extensions that you do not recognize.
If the removal option is grayed out then read how to remove extensions installed by enterprise policy.
Remove DiscountSmasher related extensions from Mozilla Firefox:
1. Open Mozilla Firefox. Go to Tools → Add-ons.
2. Select Extensions. Click Remove button to remove DiscountSmasher, Active Discount, Gosave, MediaPlayerV1, HD-Plus 3.5 and other extensions that you do not recognize.
Remove DiscountSmasher related add-ons from Internet Explorer:
1. Open Internet Explorer. Go to Tools → Manage Add-ons. If you have the latest version, simply click on the Settings button.
2. Select Toolbars and Extensions. Click Remove/Disable button to remove the browser add-ons listed above.