How do I know if I have GenerationVine on my PC?
Adware is no shy and retiring wallflower, so it will be obvious if you have been infected. The nastier types of adware will bombard you with a proliferation of pop up and pop under windows, as well as garish banner ads by GenerationVine. However, that's not all as adware can be more than just irritating; it can have a negative effect on your computer as well as your sanity. Once installed, this adware will add a few web browser extensions, for example Youtube-to-MP3 or even use some random names. The adware will use these extensions to track your browsing habits and access internet history. Such information can be very valuable and even sold to third-party companies, ad networks, etc. Of course, adware's progarmmers can use such information to display more accurate and relevant ads on your computer.
How does this adware get on to your computer?
As mentioned, the Generation Vine adware will be installed by methods of deception. It could be disguised as a game, a great lifestyle applications, even some very popular program. Great you think – I need that. So you download and install it – and bingo, you've just unleashed the GenerationVine adware on to your machine.
Some variants of this adware are hidden in shareware or freeware and will be downloaded in conjunction with other files. Others are attached as a file in an email or as a link in either a mail or instant chat message. Open that attachment or click the link and the adware will run and infect your PC.
Our advice is to steer clear of downloads from third party websites, be careful when installing programs: read the reviews and only install from official websites, don't open email attachments from unknown sources, and of course, install an anti-malware program!
How to get rid of ads by GenerationVine?
Open Control Panel then choose Uninstall a program and search for GenerationVine and Youtube-to-MP3. Uninstall both programs. Please note that it can be installed under a different name. In that case, list all the programs by date they were installed on your computer. The most recently installed programs will probably be the culprit. Then reset your web browser and finally scan your computer with recommended anti-malware software. Detailed removal guide can be found below. You should now be clear. If you have any questions, please leave a comment down below. Good luck and be safe online!
Written by Michael Kaur, http://deletemalware.blogspot.com
GenerationVine Ads Removal Guide:
1. First of all, download anti-malware software and run a full system scan. It will detect and remove this infection from your computer. You may then follow the manual removal instructions below to remove the leftover traces of this malware. Hopefully you won't have to do that.
2. Remove GenerationVine related programs from your computer using the Add/Remove Programs control panel (Windows XP) or Uninstall a program control panel (Windows 7 and Windows 8).
Go to the Start Menu. Select Control Panel → Add/Remove Programs.
If you are using Windows Vista or Windows 7, select Control Panel → Uninstall a Program.
If you are using Windows 8, simply drag your mouse pointer to the right edge of the screen, select Search from the list and search for "control panel".
Or you can right-click on a bottom left hot corner (formerly known as the Start button) and select Control panel from there.
3. When the Add/Remove Programs or the Uninstall a Program screen is displayed, scroll through the list of currently installed programs and remove the following:
- and any other recently installed application
Simply select each application and click Remove. If you are using Windows Vista, Windows 7 or Windows 8, click Uninstall up near the top of that window. When you're done, please close the Control Panel screen.
Remove GenerationVine related extensions from Google Chrome:
1. Click on Chrome menu button. Go to Tools → Extensions.
2. Click on the trashcan icon to remove GenerationVine, Youtube-to-MP3, MediaPlayerV1, Gosave, HD-Plus 3.5 and other extensions that you do not recognize.
If the removal option is grayed out then read how to remove extensions installed by enterprise policy.
Remove GenerationVine related extensions from Mozilla Firefox:
1. Open Mozilla Firefox. Go to Tools → Add-ons.
2. Select Extensions. Click Remove button to remove GenerationVine, Youtube-to-MP3, Gosave, MediaPlayerV1, HD-Plus 3.5 and other extensions that you do not recognize.
Remove GenerationVine related add-ons from Internet Explorer:
1. Open Internet Explorer. Go to Tools → Manage Add-ons. If you have the latest version, simply click on the Settings button.
2. Select Toolbars and Extensions. Click Remove/Disable button to remove the browser add-ons listed above.