I've been infected by a what?!
PUPs and adware programs are something found all too frequently on the Internet. They are a real pain as they will change your default browser settings, display ads and double underline certain words on web pages. They can even replace your default home page and search page. The reason for this being that they can then manipulate your searches so that you are redirected from the website you want to visit to one that the PUP's programmer wants to you to go to instead. Scammers also use Strong Signal and similar programs to display ads on your computer. They can be labeled "Ads by Strong Signal" or simply "by Strong Signal". Either way, that doesn't change the fact how annoying and intrusive these ads can be.
So how did this mysterious Strong Signal adware get onto your computer in the first place? Such programs usually install themselves in a few different ways, and you don't necessarily have to have downloaded any pirated software or visited any websites of a dubious nature – although doing either of these will definitely increase your chances of getting infected by adware!
If you have visited a website – of any type - that has been compromised by adware you will in turn become infected by it. However the most common route to Strong Signal infestation is when you download some software that it has been packaged with. Finally, you may be unlucky enough to have purchased a new computer that has an adware already installed on it. Thankfully, not this adware.
The good news is that many Strong Signal adware variants are easy to remove, even if you're a complete self-confessed technophobe. Others can be a little tougher, but the first thing you should do before calling manufacturer helpdesks or taking your PC into a repair center is to try and remove it yourself. If you are running the Windows Operating System all you need do is follow the simple instructions here:
- Go to the Windows Start icon in the bottom left of your screen
- Go to the Control Panel
- Find Programs and click the link below that says Uninstall a Program
- Identify the adware program and click on it to highlight it. It may be installed under a different name.
- The option to 'Uninstall' will appear at the top of the box – click upon that
- Next scan your computer with anti-malware software
Written by Michael Kaur, http://deletemalware.blogspot.com
Strong Signal Ads Removal Guide:
1. First of all, download anti-malware software and run a full system scan. It will detect and remove this infection from your computer. You may then follow the manual removal instructions below to remove the leftover traces of this malware. Hopefully you won't have to do that.
2. Remove Strong Signal related programs from your computer using the Add/Remove Programs control panel (Windows XP) or Uninstall a program control panel (Windows 7 and Windows 8).
Go to the Start Menu. Select Control Panel → Add/Remove Programs.
If you are using Windows Vista or Windows 7, select Control Panel → Uninstall a Program.
If you are using Windows 8, simply drag your mouse pointer to the right edge of the screen, select Search from the list and search for "control panel".
Or you can right-click on a bottom left hot corner (formerly known as the Start button) and select Control panel from there.
3. When the Add/Remove Programs or the Uninstall a Program screen is displayed, scroll through the list of currently installed programs and remove the following:
- Strong Signal
- and any other recently installed application
Simply select each application and click Remove. If you are using Windows Vista, Windows 7 or Windows 8, click Uninstall up near the top of that window. When you're done, please close the Control Panel screen.
Remove Strong Signal related extensions from Google Chrome:
1. Click on Chrome menu button. Go to Tools → Extensions.
2. Click on the trashcan icon to remove Strong Signal, SalePlus, MediaPlayerV1, Gosave, HD-Plus 3.5 and other extensions that you do not recognize.
If the removal option is grayed out then read how to remove extensions installed by enterprise policy.
Remove Strong Signal related extensions from Mozilla Firefox:
1. Open Mozilla Firefox. Go to Tools → Add-ons.
2. Select Extensions. Click Remove button to remove Strong Signal, SalePlus, Gosave, MediaPlayerV1, HD-Plus 3.5 and other extensions that you do not recognize.
Remove Strong Signal related add-ons from Internet Explorer:
1. Open Internet Explorer. Go to Tools → Manage Add-ons. If you have the latest version, simply click on the Settings button.
2. Select Toolbars and Extensions. Click Remove/Disable button to remove the browser add-ons listed above.