What is dym?
Dym is a software program that you inadvertently install on your PC by downloading a program, file or application that has been packaged with it. The reason it exists is to market various websites to you – basically it is an updated form of advertising and will display "Ads by dym" adverts on your computer screen when you are connected to the internet. However, many of the dym adverts you see will be ones that are customized to reflect your personal tastes. Sounds a little weird, right? After all, how does an advertiser know which products or services you are interested in? Well that's all down to the tracking component that adware programs install on your PC so that the programmer can monitor which websites you're visiting and the pages that you are viewing on those sites. It collects this data and then sends it back to the programmer – who will then decide which adverts they are going to show you. Of course, there are a little more technicalities involved, but that is the basic gist of this adware.
What do dym adverts look like?
Most adverts are not too intrusive and will simply sit at the edge of the web pages that you're looking at, however it can be annoying when the same dym ads keeping showing up – especially if you're not interested in the company and only happened to visit the site once. Or maybe you've even bought the product, or something very similar, yet still keep on seeing adverts for it. Some dym adverts display across the top of the page like a banner but the very worst ones, and a sign that you have a serious adware infection, are pop-up or pop-under windows that flash up on your screen and refuse to go away, no matter how many times you close them.
How do you stop dym infections?
Because this adware is installed as an add-on with other programs you need to pay attention when downloading something. You have no doubt noticed the End User License Agreements (EULAs) that appear when you're installing something. Well these usually tell you if dym adware is also bundled with the software. The trouble is, most people don't read all the small print as they are in too much of a hurry to download their new app or program – and that's when the majority of malware infections occur. So, the number one rule is to make sure that you always read the wording in License Agreements and make sure that you are not also installing a nasty little unwanted hidden extra!
How do I remove dym ads?
I might be a little complicated because it tries to avoid detection and removal. It installs a few web browser extensions, modifies Windows registry and even creates a Windows service which runs this adware every time Windows starts. If it's already installed and you don't know how to remove it, please follow the steps in the removal guide below. Good luck and be safe online!
Written by Michael Kaur, http://deletemalware.blogspot.com
Ads by dym Removal Guide:
1. First of all, download anti-malware software and run a full system scan. It will detect and remove this infection from your computer. You may then follow the manual removal instructions below to remove the leftover traces of this malware. Hopefully you won't have to do that.
2. Remove dym adware related programs from your computer using the Add/Remove Programs control panel (Windows XP) or Uninstall a program control panel (Windows 7 and Windows 8).
Go to the Start Menu. Select Control Panel → Add/Remove Programs.
If you are using Windows Vista or Windows 7, select Control Panel → Uninstall a Program.
If you are using Windows 8, simply drag your mouse pointer to the right edge of the screen, select Search from the list and search for "control panel".
Or you can right-click on a bottom left hot corner (formerly known as the Start button) and select Control panel from there.
3. When the Add/Remove Programs or the Uninstall a Program screen is displayed, scroll through the list of currently installed programs and remove the following:
- and any other recently installed application
Simply select each application and click Remove. If you are using Windows Vista, Windows 7 or Windows 8, click Uninstall up near the top of that window. When you're done, please close the Control Panel screen.
Remove dym related extensions from Google Chrome:
1. Click on Chrome menu button. Go to Tools → Extensions.
2. Click on the trashcan icon to remove dym, SalePlus, MediaPlayerV1, Gosave, HD-Plus 3.5 and other extensions that you do not recognize.
If the removal option is grayed out then read how to remove extensions installed by enterprise policy.
Remove dym related extensions from Mozilla Firefox:
1. Open Mozilla Firefox. Go to Tools → Add-ons.
2. Select Extensions. Click Remove button to remove dym, SalePlus, Gosave, MediaPlayerV1, HD-Plus 3.5 and other extensions that you do not recognize.
Remove dym related add-ons from Internet Explorer:
1. Open Internet Explorer. Go to Tools → Manage Add-ons. If you have the latest version, simply click on the Settings button.
2. Select Toolbars and Extensions. Click Remove/Disable button to remove the browser add-ons listed above.