This adware might have a reputation as a bit of a softy in the world of malicious software because it 'only' displays ads by PopShopCoupon on your computer screen but that doesn't mean you should look the other way if you have been infected by it – or ignore its existence altogether. At the very least, it can be insanely irritating!
And although it is certainly possible to turn a blind eye to some types of adware, there is another variety which is extremely intrusive, both in front of, and behind the scenes.
What does adware look like?
The types of adverts that are easier to ignore are simply just ads by PopShopCoupon displayed on your screen, usually at the edges, when you are online. It is fairly easy to ignore advert links such as the ones that Google use, or banner adverts, but less forgivable are the pop-up or pop-under windows which will have you gritting your teeth in frustration as they constantly disrupt you while you are online.
If you've ever had pop-up adware on your computer you will know what a waste of time and energy it is as you battle to close the ads; clicking on the little red 'x' in the corner of the box to make them go away - only to have them pop back up again instantly.
How did PopShopCoupon adware get on to your computer the first place?
It is highly likely that just before you noticed the adware that you downloaded something: a TV show, an app or an upgrade of an existing program you have installed. Because PopShopCoupon adware is usually bundled with free programs and downloads it is highly likely that if you've executed a file or downloaded something else, adware will have snuck in through the backdoor that way.
What else can PopShopCoupon adware do?
This adware is an extreme form of advertising and is far better placed to manipulate us than print or traditional adverts ever could. And this manifests itself in a number of ways. It doesn't just show you adverts; it also spies on you so that the program's developer can tailor the adverts that you see towards your interests. And it does this by monitoring which websites you visit and then looking at the goods or services that you look at on those websites. A component installed by the adware collects this information and sends it back to the programmer. They can then increase your chances of clicking on the ad (and increase their chances of making a quick buck) by making sure that the adverts you see are more akin to your internet searches.
Adware is a real pain, so protect yourself by installing a decent anti-malware program today. If it's already too late and your computer is infected with this adware and its relentless "Ads by PopShopCoupon" advertisements, please follow the steps on the removal guide below. If you have any questions, please leave a comment down below. Good luck and be safe online!
Written by Michael Kaur, http://deletemalware.blogspot.com
"Ads by PopShopCoupon" Removal Guide:
1. First of all, download anti-malware software and run a full system scan. It will detect and remove this infection from your computer. You may then follow the manual removal instructions below to remove the leftover traces of this malware. Hopefully you won't have to do that.
2. Remove PopShopCoupon related programs from your computer using the Add/Remove Programs control panel (Windows XP) or Uninstall a program control panel (Windows 7 and Windows 8).
Go to the Start Menu. Select Control Panel → Add/Remove Programs.
If you are using Windows Vista or Windows 7, select Control Panel → Uninstall a Program.
If you are using Windows 8, simply drag your mouse pointer to the right edge of the screen, select Search from the list and search for "control panel".
Or you can right-click on a bottom left hot corner (formerly known as the Start button) and select Control panel from there.
3. When the Add/Remove Programs or the Uninstall a Program screen is displayed, scroll through the list of currently installed programs and remove the following:
- Active Discount
- and any other recently installed application
Simply select each application and click Remove. If you are using Windows Vista, Windows 7 or Windows 8, click Uninstall up near the top of that window. When you're done, please close the Control Panel screen.
Remove PopShopCoupon related extensions from Google Chrome:
1. Click on Chrome menu button. Go to Tools → Extensions.
2. Click on the trashcan icon to remove PopShopCoupon, AdCoupon, MediaPlayerV1, Gosave, HD-Plus 3.5 and other extensions that you do not recognize.
If the removal option is grayed out then read how to remove extensions installed by enterprise policy.
Remove PopShopCoupon related extensions from Mozilla Firefox:
1. Open Mozilla Firefox. Go to Tools → Add-ons.
2. Select Extensions. Click Remove button to remove PopShopCoupon, AdCoupon, Gosave, MediaPlayerV1, HD-Plus 3.5 and other extensions that you do not recognize.
Remove PopShopCoupon related add-ons from Internet Explorer:
1. Open Internet Explorer. Go to Tools → Manage Add-ons. If you have the latest version, simply click on the Settings button.
2. Select Toolbars and Extensions. Click Remove/Disable button to remove the browser add-ons listed above.