Antivirus programs, other security software and programs and apps are constantly releasing new versions in an attempt to stay one step ahead of malware and viruses, but chances are something untoward can still slip through the cracks. You may be hit by a drive by installation, download something that is secretly packaged with malware, accidentally open a spam email attachment, or simply be unlucky enough to visit a website that has been infected. And of course, let's not forget browser hijackers like Boxo Search (www.boxo-search.com) who are adept at bypassing virtually all security programs thanks to their virtue of being 'potentially' unwanted.
Web browser hijackers attack you and install their own versions of the home pages and and search engine providers you already have running on your machine. Most commonly, these are tool bars and search engines. They are annoying, rarely useful, and waste your time as you try, often multiple times, to remove them and restore your original programs.
The good news is, however, that there is a free and easy way you can reduce the chances of becoming the victim of Boxo Search and similar browser hijackers.
Lower your chances of a browser hijackers installing itself on your computer
One thing you CAN do to try and avoid Boxo Search from installing itself on your PC is to be careful when downloading other software programs or apps. Most browser hijackers are packaged with free downloads. These can include, but are not limited to, shareware, freeware and peer-to-peer files, such as TV shows, movies, music, and games. If you're not someone who downloads for leisure, then we are sorry to say that you are not exempt from risks as browser hijackers can also come bundled with professional software and tools such as PDF readers, programs that convert foreign script, and video viewing tools.
You don't want to stop downloading, but how do you avoid the boxo-search.com browser hijacker?
In plain and simple English: you need to pay attention to License Agreements when you're downloading something. Read the small print and look closely at pre-configured check boxes.
How unwanted are browser hijackers?
Although designated potentially unwanted browser hijackers, as mentioned, are annoying time wasters, but not only that, they normally redirect all of your web searches to websites the programmer wants you to visit. And we say a big no thank you to that!
How do I remove Boxo Search?
It can be a tedious task. It modifies browser settings and also makes modifications to Windows registry. Hopefully, the removal guide below will help you to remove this browser hijacker from your computer. If you have any questions, please leave a comment down below. Good luck and be safe online!
Written by Michael Kaur, http://deletemalware.blogspot.com
Boxo Search Homepage Malware Removal Guide:
1. First of all, download recommended anti-malware software and run a full system scan. It will detect and remove this infection from your computer. You may then follow the manual removal instructions below to remove the leftover traces of this infection. Hopefully you won't have to do that.
2. Remove Boxo Search related programs from your computer using the Add/Remove Programs control panel (Windows XP) or Uninstall a program control panel (Windows 7 and Windows 8).
Go to the Start Menu. Select Control Panel → Add/Remove Programs.
If you are using Windows Vista or Windows 7, select Control Panel → Uninstall a Program.
If you are using Windows 8, simply drag your mouse pointer to the right edge of the screen, select Search from the list and search for "control panel".
Or you can right-click on a bottom left hot corner (formerly known as the Start button) and select Control panel from there.
3. When the Add/Remove Programs or the Uninstall a Program screen is displayed, scroll through the list of currently installed programs and remove the following programs:
- Boxo Search
- Go_Boxo Search
If you are using Windows Vista, Windows 7 or Windows 8, click Uninstall up near the top of that window. When you're done, please close the Control Panel screen.
Remove Boxo Search from Google Chrome:
1. Click on Chrome menu button. Go to Tools → Extensions.
2. Click on the trashcan icon to remove Boxo Search, MuiTub, BookmarkTube extensions.
3. Then select Settings. Scroll down the page and click Show advanced settings.
4. Find the Reset browser settings section and click Reset browser settings button.
5. In the dialog that appears, click Reset.
6. Right-click Google Chrome shortcut you are using to open your web browser and select Properties.
7. Select Shortcut tab and remove "http://www.boxo-search.com..." from the Target field and click OK to save changes. There should be only the path to Chrome executable file.
Remove Boxo Search from Mozilla Firefox:
1. Open Mozilla Firefox. Go to Tools → Add-ons.
2. Select Extensions. Remove Boxo Search, MuiTab, BookmarkTube browser extensions. Close Add-ons manger.
3. In the URL address bar, type about:config and hit Enter.
Click I'll be careful, I promise! to continue.
In the search filter at the top, type: boxo-search.com
Now, you should see all the preferences that were changed by boxo-search.com. Right-click on the preference and select Reset to restore default value. Reset all found preferences!
4. Right-click the Mozilla Firefox shortcut you are using to open your web browser and select Properties.
5. Select Shortcut tab and remove "http://www.boxo-search.com...." from the Target field and click OK to save changes. There should be only the path to Firefox executable file.
Remove Boxo Search from Internet Explorer:
1. Open Internet Explorer. Go to Tools → Manage Add-ons.
2. Select Search Providers. First of all, choose Live Search search engine and make it your default web search provider (Set as default).
3. Select Boxo Search and click Remove to remove it. Close the window.
4. Right-click the Internet Explorer shortcut you are using to open your web browser and select Properties.
5. Select Shortcut tab and remove "http://www.boxo-search.com...." from the Target field and click OK to save changes. Basically, there should be only the path to Internet Explorer executable file.