Advertising and marketing are an inescapable part of modern life, but love it, hate it or simply ignore it there's no getting away from the fact that every company and brand out there is battling for our hard earned dollars, and that includes businesses who have a web presence – which let's face it is pretty much all of them!
Online marketing is a huge industry and our computers are no longer just devices that we use for work or leisure, they are equally used as a means of targeting us and trying to convince us to click that advert, visit that website and hit that button to 'add to cart'.
What is the point of WordAnchor adware?
WordAnchor is not really any different to its traditional counterpart, except it has even greater chances of generating a sale, thanks to the product or service it is selling being just a couple of clicks away. Like print or billboard advertising, its purpose is to drive traffic to a store and increase sales for its owner.
Is WordAnchor dangerous?
It IS a type of malware, however it should not be confused with something like rogue ware or a Trojan Horse, but having said that, if you have been infected with the WordAnchor that is spamming you with relentless pop-up windows for decidedly dodgy services, you should take steps to get rid of it. This type of malicious adware is sometimes used to install spyware on your computer or other device.
WordAnchor or Word Anchor uses spyware to a certain extent as it monitors the websites you visit so that it can tailor the adverts you see to match your interests. However, at its worst, spyware can contain a keylogging component which records the keys you are typing, and then uses this information to access your private accounts and steal your personal data. It will either use this for its own ends or sell the intel to a third party. The solution? Protect yourself by installing anti-malware software today.
If it's already too late and your computer is infected by WordAnchor and its relentless advertisements, please follow the steps on the removal guide below. If you have any questions, please leave a comment down below. Good luck and be safe online!
Written by Michael Kaur, http://deletemalware.blogspot.com
WordAnchor Ads Removal Guide:
1. First of all, download anti-malware software and run a full system scan. It will detect and remove this infection from your computer. You may then follow the manual removal instructions below to remove the leftover traces of this malware. Hopefully you won't have to do that.
2. Remove WordAnchor related programs from your computer using the Add/Remove Programs control panel (Windows XP) or Uninstall a program control panel (Windows 7 and Windows 8).
Go to the Start Menu. Select Control Panel → Add/Remove Programs.
If you are using Windows Vista or Windows 7, select Control Panel → Uninstall a Program.
If you are using Windows 8, simply drag your mouse pointer to the right edge of the screen, select Search from the list and search for "control panel".
Or you can right-click on a bottom left hot corner (formerly known as the Start button) and select Control panel from there.
3. When the Add/Remove Programs or the Uninstall a Program screen is displayed, scroll through the list of currently installed programs and remove the following:
- Active Discount
- and any other recently installed application
Simply select each application and click Remove. If you are using Windows Vista, Windows 7 or Windows 8, click Uninstall up near the top of that window. When you're done, please close the Control Panel screen.
Remove WordAnchor related extensions from Google Chrome:
1. Click on Chrome menu button. Go to Tools → Extensions.
2. Click on the trashcan icon to remove WordAnchor, Active Discount, MediaPlayerV1, Gosave, HD-Plus 3.5 and other extensions that you do not recognize.
If the removal option is grayed out then read how to remove extensions installed by enterprise policy.
Remove WordAnchor related extensions from Mozilla Firefox:
1. Open Mozilla Firefox. Go to Tools → Add-ons.
2. Select Extensions. Click Remove button to remove WordAnchor, Active Discount, Gosave, MediaPlayerV1, HD-Plus 3.5 and other extensions that you do not recognize.
Remove WordAnchor related add-ons from Internet Explorer:
1. Open Internet Explorer. Go to Tools → Manage Add-ons. If you have the latest version, simply click on the Settings button.
2. Select Toolbars and Extensions. Click Remove/Disable button to remove the browser add-ons listed above.