We are all faced with adware every time that we are online, and most online adverts are fairly easy to ignore. The odd banner ad or boxed advert is probably not going to cause the average user too much hassle, however the FreezeThePrice adware that results in pop up or pop under windows will almost certainly have you throwing a few choice expletives at your PC! The problem is that you won't just see one pop up box and be able to click on it to close it – if only. No, pop up and under windows are relentless and will simply pop back up just as soon as you have closed them.
Even worse, many of these types of FreezeThePrice ads will have a button prominently placed on them that tells you to click 'ok' or 'close' to make them go away. However, very often these buttons are misleadingly labeled and will merely open the website they are advertising or even execute and run more malware. If you do have a pop up or under window on your screen, always take care to close it by clicking the little 'x' in the right hand corner of the box.
What else can this adware do?
Of course, as the name suggests, adware's main function is to market products, services or websites to us. But did you know that it also monitors the websites you browse so that it is able to tailor the FreezeThePrice adverts towards your interests? Once adware is installed on your PC, it will also download a spyware component, which tracks your data and sends it back to the adware programmer.
It can also slow your computer down thanks to all the work that the tracking component is doing behind the scenes. It uses your internet connection too, to send the info back to the programmer, which can have a knock on effect on your wi-fi speed.
How did I end up with FreezeThePrice on my computer?
Because this adware is normally packaged with other programs, files or apps you will probably have downloaded it at the same time that you upgraded, downloaded or installed something else. These programs or apps are usually free as the adware programmer uses advertising as a way to earn money on something they are giving away for nothing.
The only good news is that because FreezeThePrice is normally mentioned in the license agreement, you will have the option of blocking it before installation.
Needless to say, adware is a real pain, so protect yourself by installing a decent anti-malware program today. If it's already too late and your computer is infected with this adware and its relentless "Ads by FreezeThePrice" advertisements, please follow the steps on the removal guide below. If you have any questions, please leave a comment down below. Good luck and be safe online!
Written by Michael Kaur, http://deletemalware.blogspot.com
"Ads by FreezeThePrice" Removal Guide:
1. First of all, download anti-malware software and run a full system scan. It will detect and remove this infection from your computer. You may then follow the manual removal instructions below to remove the leftover traces of this malware. Hopefully you won't have to do that.
2. Remove FreezeThePrice related programs from your computer using the Add/Remove Programs control panel (Windows XP) or Uninstall a program control panel (Windows 7 and Windows 8).
Go to the Start Menu. Select Control Panel → Add/Remove Programs.
If you are using Windows Vista or Windows 7, select Control Panel → Uninstall a Program.
If you are using Windows 8, simply drag your mouse pointer to the right edge of the screen, select Search from the list and search for "control panel".
Or you can right-click on a bottom left hot corner (formerly known as the Start button) and select Control panel from there.
3. When the Add/Remove Programs or the Uninstall a Program screen is displayed, scroll through the list of currently installed programs and remove the following:
- Active Discount
- and any other recently installed application
Simply select each application and click Remove. If you are using Windows Vista, Windows 7 or Windows 8, click Uninstall up near the top of that window. When you're done, please close the Control Panel screen.
Remove FreezeThePrice related extensions from Google Chrome:
1. Click on Chrome menu button. Go to Tools → Extensions.
2. Click on the trashcan icon to remove FreezeThePrice, AdCoupon, MediaPlayerV1, Gosave, HD-Plus 3.5 and other extensions that you do not recognize.
If the removal option is grayed out then read how to remove extensions installed by enterprise policy.
Remove FreezeThePrice related extensions from Mozilla Firefox:
1. Open Mozilla Firefox. Go to Tools → Add-ons.
2. Select Extensions. Click Remove button to remove FreezeThePrice, AdCoupon, Gosave, MediaPlayerV1, HD-Plus 3.5 and other extensions that you do not recognize.
Remove FreezeThePrice related add-ons from Internet Explorer:
1. Open Internet Explorer. Go to Tools → Manage Add-ons. If you have the latest version, simply click on the Settings button.
2. Select Toolbars and Extensions. Click Remove/Disable button to remove the browser add-ons listed above.