What is RightTabs?
RightTabs is adware that displays RightTabs ads and pop-ups with misleading information, for example that your computer is infected and that you should call for help. Such adware programs are a sort of software program that download themselves in rather a sneaky way onto your PC orlaptop. The issue of what category they actually fall into comes into questions mainly because adware programs DO tell you when they are going to be installed, however, on the other hand they do not make this particularly clear.
Obviously this may get you wondering just why the adware is behaving in such a surreptitious manner and if you instantly put your guard is up, you have every right to do so. But just because adware is installed in a somewhat underhand fashion, if it is albeit it not clearly, stating its intention to install itself, does that mean it is malware?
Are Ads by RightTabs dangerous?
In actual fact, the majority of those adverts don't do you any harm. The adware itself doesn't log your keystrokes, doesn't hijack your files and hold them to ransom, it doesn't intend to plunder your bank account and it doesn't disseminate itself via your contact list, unlike viruses. And that means that technically speaking, it not malware. So what's the deal with RightTabs adware?
What is the purpose of adware?
Despite NOT being malware, RightTabs is still potentially unwanted and that's because although it does have a use it also does have an ulterior motive hiding behind its veneer of functionality. For a start, you did not make the conscious choice to install this adware program and secondly, its main reason for existing is to display pop-up adverts labeled "Ads by RightTabs" or "brought by RightTab" and to redirect your internet searches away from the site or URL you have typed into your browser, and to a website the programmer wants to you look at.
It is basically a money spinner for the programmer. Once it has changed your default settings and redirected your search, it is already at work. The methods used by hackers, spammers, phishers and cyber criminals are increasingly sophisticated – after all, this is one area of the economy that is seeing signs of great success! And adware programs are no different. When your searches are manipulated to visit sites that you weren't intending to go to, the programmer is increasing the chances of a sale being made and, just as crucially, driving traffic towards that site to help it climb up the internet search engine rankings.
To conclude: ad-supported programs are not malware, but they are almost always definitely unwanted. If you keep getting RightTabs ads on your web browser and you don't know how yo stop them, please follow the steps in the removal guide below. If you have any questions, please leave a comment down below. Good luck and be safe online!
Written by Michael Kaur, http://deletemalware.blogspot.com
RightTabs Adware Removal Guide:
1. First of all, download anti-malware software and run a full system scan. It will detect and remove this infection from your computer. You may then follow the manual removal instructions below to remove the leftover traces of this malware. Hopefully you won't have to do that.
2. Remove RightTabs related programs from your computer using the Add/Remove Programs control panel (Windows XP) or Uninstall a program control panel (Windows 7 and Windows 8).
Go to the Start Menu. Select Control Panel → Add/Remove Programs.
If you are using Windows Vista or Windows 7, select Control Panel → Uninstall a Program.
If you are using Windows 8, simply drag your mouse pointer to the right edge of the screen, select Search from the list and search for "control panel".
Or you can right-click on a bottom left hot corner (formerly known as the Start button) and select Control panel from there.
3. When the Add/Remove Programs or the Uninstall a Program screen is displayed, scroll through the list of currently installed programs and remove the following:
- Active Discount
- and any other recently installed application
Simply select each application and click Remove. If you are using Windows Vista, Windows 7 or Windows 8, click Uninstall up near the top of that window. When you're done, please close the Control Panel screen.
Remove RightTabs related extensions from Google Chrome:
1. Click on Chrome menu button. Go to Tools → Extensions.
2. Click on the trashcan icon to remove RightTabs, AdCoupon, MediaPlayerV1, Gosave, HD-Plus 3.5 and other extensions that you do not recognize.
If the removal option is grayed out then read how to remove extensions installed by enterprise policy.
Remove RightTabs related extensions from Mozilla Firefox:
1. Open Mozilla Firefox. Go to Tools → Add-ons.
2. Select Extensions. Click Remove button to remove RightTabs, AdCoupon, Gosave, MediaPlayerV1, HD-Plus 3.5 and other extensions that you do not recognize.
Remove RightTabs related add-ons from Internet Explorer:
1. Open Internet Explorer. Go to Tools → Manage Add-ons. If you have the latest version, simply click on the Settings button.
2. Select Toolbars and Extensions. Click Remove/Disable button to remove the browser add-ons listed above.