And if you're wondering why I'm talking about security measures in the same article as we are talking about Daugava adware, then that is because, despite what many people think, it can put you at risk of even more serious infection.
If you have Daugava adware lurking on your computer it can cause real instability with any of the other programs that you have installed. And that can include your security programs. And when this destabilization causes your security to let its guard down that means that malware can exploit these loopholes and slip in far more easily.
How to stop yourself from being exploited by adware and other threats
There are a number of ways that you can prevent an infestation of Daugava and similar adware – and in turn stop your PC's defense from being left vulnerable to further attack. Adware can hide in the code used by some websites, and it can also infect sites too. However in the majority of cases it is downloaded in conjunction with another program, app or file. You probably won't realize you've downloaded Daugava either – until you log back into your machine or complete your download and find that you are being bombarded with numerous "brought by Daugava" pop-up adverts.
With this in mind, you need to be careful when you are downloading software or torrents. This adware will be mentioned in the license agreement so read them properly and ensure that you are not agreeing to an additional add-on program.
Of course you also need to make sure that you have a good anti-malware program installed on your computer and that it is always up to date. And this is where it becomes so crucial you make sure that you are always running all of your programs, not just your security software, on the latest versions. If you are not, you will be missing out on vital updates and patches. And that means that you are even more vulnerable to attack from not only old malware and viruses, but the very latest, and even more dangerous, ones too.
Needless to say, this adware is a real pain, so protect yourself by installing a decent anti-malware program today. If it's already too late and your computer is infected with this adware and its relentless "brought by Daugava" advertisements, please follow the steps on the removal guide below. If you have any questions, please leave a comment down below. Good luck and be safe online!
Written by Michael Kaur, http://deletemalware.blogspot.com
Daugava Adware Removal Guide:
1. First of all, download anti-malware software and run a full system scan. It will detect and remove this infection from your computer. You may then follow the manual removal instructions below to remove the leftover traces of this malware. Hopefully you won't have to do that.
2. Remove Daugava related programs from your computer using the Add/Remove Programs control panel (Windows XP) or Uninstall a program control panel (Windows 7 and Windows 8).
Go to the Start Menu. Select Control Panel → Add/Remove Programs.
If you are using Windows Vista or Windows 7, select Control Panel → Uninstall a Program.
If you are using Windows 8, simply drag your mouse pointer to the right edge of the screen, select Search from the list and search for "control panel".
Or you can right-click on a bottom left hot corner (formerly known as the Start button) and select Control panel from there.
3. When the Add/Remove Programs or the Uninstall a Program screen is displayed, scroll through the list of currently installed programs and remove the following:
- Active Discount
- and any other recently installed application
Simply select each application and click Remove. If you are using Windows Vista, Windows 7 or Windows 8, click Uninstall up near the top of that window. When you're done, please close the Control Panel screen.
Remove Daugava related extensions from Google Chrome:
1. Click on Chrome menu button. Go to Tools → Extensions.
2. Click on the trashcan icon to remove Daugava, AdCoupon, MediaPlayerV1, Gosave, HD-Plus 3.5 and other extensions that you do not recognize.
If the removal option is grayed out then read how to remove extensions installed by enterprise policy.
Remove Daugava related extensions from Mozilla Firefox:
1. Open Mozilla Firefox. Go to Tools → Add-ons.
2. Select Extensions. Click Remove button to remove Daugava, AdCoupon, Gosave, MediaPlayerV1, HD-Plus 3.5 and other extensions that you do not recognize.
Remove Daugava related add-ons from Internet Explorer:
1. Open Internet Explorer. Go to Tools → Manage Add-ons. If you have the latest version, simply click on the Settings button.
2. Select Toolbars and Extensions. Click Remove/Disable button to remove the browser add-ons listed above.