And by 'them' I mean web browser hijackers like view.contextualyield.com. If you have been infected by this browser hijacker you could be forgiven for thinking you are going slightly insane. And that is because browser hijackers install themselves on your PC or other device, usually without giving you much of a clue.
How did view.contextualyield.com install itself without my say so?
View.contextualyield.com and similar browser hijackers are software, tools, applications that install themselves in replacement of your existing versions. They are usually found in the guise of a tool bar, a home page or even a web browser extension. Needless to say they are nowhere near as well designed, useful or functional as the ones you already had installed.
But back to the question, how did it get there? Think back to shortly before they put in an appearance and you will probably remember installing some new software or an app, or perhaps even upgrading something already installed on your PC. Maybe you downloaded some torrents, lining up the next episodes of your favorite TV programs ready for a night of viewing pleasure.
It was by doing one of the above, basically downloading freeware, shareware or peer to peer files, that caused the installation of view.contextualyield.com. Browser hijackers are very occasionally already installed when you purchase a new PC from the store and sometimes they can attack you by something known as a drive by installation, which is the term used when you visit an infected website by chance. But more often than not, browser hijackers are bundled with a program or file that you intentionally downloaded.
How to avoid re-installing a browser hijacker?
The best chance you have of evading infection by view.contextualyield.com and then getting tons of new pop-ups and tabs is to be extremely careful when you're downloading programs, files or applications. Think you're immune because you don't illegally download movies or music, or don't use pirated software? Think again because it can be quite literally packaged with anything. To avoid them you need to read the End User License Agreement that appears before you install something as browser hijackers are usually mentioned in the small print. You also need to pay attention to any check boxes as programmers will often pre-check these for you in an attempt to confuse you and ensure that you download their Potentially Unwanted Program.
How to remove view.contextualyield.com redirects to spam websites?
It is a real pain, so protect yourself by installing a decent anti-malware program today. If it's already too late and your computer is infected with this browser hijackers and its relentless advertisements, please follow the steps on the removal guide below. If you have any questions, please leave a comment down below. Good luck and be safe online!
Written by Michael Kaur, http://deletemalware.blogspot.com
View.contextualyield.com Pop-up Ads Removal Guide:
1. First of all, download anti-malware software and run a full system scan. It will detect and remove this infection from your computer. You may then follow the manual removal instructions below to remove the leftover traces of this malware. Hopefully you won't have to do that.
2. Remove view.contextualyield.com related programs from your computer using the Add/Remove Programs control panel (Windows XP) or Uninstall a program control panel (Windows 7 and Windows 8).
Go to the Start Menu. Select Control Panel → Add/Remove Programs.
If you are using Windows Vista or Windows 7, select Control Panel → Uninstall a Program.
If you are using Windows 8, simply drag your mouse pointer to the right edge of the screen, select Search from the list and search for "control panel".
Or you can right-click on a bottom left hot corner (formerly known as the Start button) and select Control panel from there.
3. When the Add/Remove Programs or the Uninstall a Program screen is displayed, scroll through the list of currently installed programs and remove the following:
- Disco Savings
- and any other recently installed application
Simply select each application and click Remove. If you are using Windows Vista, Windows 7 or Windows 8, click Uninstall up near the top of that window. When you're done, please close the Control Panel screen.
Remove view.contextualyield.com related extensions from Google Chrome:
1. Click on Chrome menu button. Go to Tools → Extensions.
2. Click on the trashcan icon to remove Disco Savings, DownloadHelper, MediaPlayerV1, Gosave, HD-Plus 3.5 and other extensions that you do not recognize.
If the removal option is grayed out then read how to remove extensions installed by enterprise policy.
Remove view.contextualyield.com related extensions from Mozilla Firefox:
1. Open Mozilla Firefox. Go to Tools → Add-ons.
2. Select Extensions. Click Remove button to remove Disco Savings, DownloadHelper, Gosave, MediaPlayerV1, HD-Plus 3.5 and other extensions that you do not recognize.
Remove view.contextualyield.com related add-ons from Internet Explorer:
1. Open Internet Explorer. Go to Tools → Manage Add-ons. If you have the latest version, simply click on the Settings button.
2. Select Toolbars and Extensions. Click Remove/Disable button to remove the browser add-ons listed above.