But what actually is Gem Grab? In simple terms it is a type of computer software program that shows, or downloads, Gem Grab adverts when we're online. But it has also been developed using sophisticated techniques that not only show us adverts, but shows us ads that are for products or services that we're probably going to be interested in. As for the programmer who created it, the adware program is generally used as a way to generate a stream of income, and is also a way to, not only increase a certain website's sales, but to boost their traffic too.
How does Gem Grab adware work?
Because this adware normally comes bundled with another file or program it can be hard to detect its presence before it appears on your PC or laptop. It also comes in one of two slightly different formats. Some Gem Grab ads appear on a screen which is displayed when you install the original program and the other type will actually be embedded in the user interface of the program. The appearance of the adverts can differ too: some are fairly easy to ignore and will sit neatly on the page of a website, some may be shown in a side bar or panel when you are in your email inbox, and the really, really annoying sort are pop-up or pop-under windows. Meaning they'll either bombard you with flashing boxes for products right there on your screen, or they will lie in wait under the pages you currently have open.
Can Gem Grab do me harm?
You have probably heard people say that it is not as dangerous as most of the other types of malware, and indeed, many people do seem to completely disregard it, but the fact is that anything that installs itself on your PC or laptop in an underhand manner shouldn't really be trusted. For a start, Gem Grab adware can cause instabilities on your operating system which makes programs – including your anti-virus software to interact negatively with each other. This in turn leads to the likelihood of further attack by other forms malware.
We also mentioned earlier that it often shows you Gem Grab adverts for products you may be interested in. How it does that is via a tracking component which is able to monitor which websites you visit and what pages you look at within those sites. If you don't want your security compromised and your activity spied on, we suggest you install a good anti-malware program today.
How to get rid of Gem Grab ads?
To remove this adware from your computer and stop Gem Grab ads, please follow the steps in the removal guide below. If you have any questions, please leave a comment down below. Good luck and be safe online!
Written by Michael Kaur, http://deletemalware.blogspot.com
Gem Grab Ads Removal Guide:
1. First of all, download anti-malware software and run a full system scan. It will detect and remove this infection from your computer. You may then follow the manual removal instructions below to remove the leftover traces of this malware. Hopefully you won't have to do that.
2. Remove Gem Grab related programs from your computer using the Add/Remove Programs control panel (Windows XP) or Uninstall a program control panel (Windows 7 and Windows 8).
Go to the Start Menu. Select Control Panel → Add/Remove Programs.
If you are using Windows Vista or Windows 7, select Control Panel → Uninstall a Program.
If you are using Windows 8, simply drag your mouse pointer to the right edge of the screen, select Search from the list and search for "control panel".
Or you can right-click on a bottom left hot corner (formerly known as the Start button) and select Control panel from there.
3. When the Add/Remove Programs or the Uninstall a Program screen is displayed, scroll through the list of currently installed programs and remove the following:
- Gem Grab
- Active Discount
- and any other recently installed application
Simply select each application and click Remove. If you are using Windows Vista, Windows 7 or Windows 8, click Uninstall up near the top of that window. When you're done, please close the Control Panel screen.
Remove Gem Grab related extensions from Google Chrome:
1. Click on Chrome menu button. Go to Tools → Extensions.
2. Click on the trashcan icon to remove Gem Grab, Active Discount, MediaPlayerV1, Gosave, HD-Plus 3.5 and other extensions that you do not recognize.
If the removal option is grayed out then read how to remove extensions installed by enterprise policy.
3. Then select Settings. Scroll down the page and click Show advanced settings.
4. Find the Reset browser settings section and click Reset browser settings button.
5. In the dialog that appears, click Reset. That's it!
Remove Gem Grab related extensions from Mozilla Firefox:
1. Open Mozilla Firefox. Go to Tools → Add-ons.
2. Select Extensions. Click Remove button to remove Gem Grab, Active Discount, Gosave, MediaPlayerV1, HD-Plus 3.5 and other extensions that you do not recognize.
Remove Gem Grab related add-ons from Internet Explorer:
1. Open Internet Explorer. Go to Tools → Manage Add-ons. If you have the latest version, simply click on the Settings button.
2. Select Toolbars and Extensions. Click Remove/Disable button to remove the browser add-ons listed above.