As we use the internet and develop our online lives more and more, it comes as no real surprise to learn that cyber criminals too are evolving the ways they can use it to do their own dirty work and exploit our need for the internet. Whether they want to steal our identities, our information, our data or our money, one thing is for sure and that is that we need to be on our guard now more than ever before.
Don't fall victim to "New Version of software available" pop-up and other adware
From something like adware which is not seen as the deadliest of all the internet threats to malicious software programs such as Trojan Horses, there is an endless stream of increasingly sophisticated ways to trap and defraud us. But if adware is generally not seen as to be as lethal as some of its malware counterparts, does that mean we can simply forget about it and concentrate on the real bad boys instead?
In a word, no. Brands and businesses of all shapes and sizes are using adware in an attempt to drive web traffic to their websites in the hope of increasing sales. And while that makes sense, after all advertising is not exactly a new concept, adware programmers are also using online adverts to earn money themselves. Adware can create a viable source of income for programmers who give away applications and programs for free and because of this they are desperate for us to install it on our computers. And they do this by sneaking adware onto our operating systems without us knowing about it. Most of the time adware programs display adverts trying to convince you into installing bogus programs. However, this particular variant mimics software update pop-up saying "new version of software available". Bad grammar and this pop-up window comping like out of no where should make everyone suspicious but unfortunately some users still fall victim to this scam.
How to get rid of "New Version of software available" pop-up and related malware
Having something thrust or foisted upon them can leave many people naturally dubious about the safety or innocence of adware and the more virulent strains can have a real knock on effect on the usage of your PC therefore you should get rid of it as quickly as possible.
- Download a reputable adware removal tool (link bellow)
- Back up your files and data to an external hard drive
- Shut down then restart your PC while holding down the F8 key (this puts your PC into 'safety mode')
- Run the adware removal program. This should tell you the name of the adware – which you can now uninstall from the Programs tab under your PC's Control Panel
- To make sure you are definitely adware free, repeat the entire process
Written by Michael Kaur, http://deletemalware.blogspot.com
"New Version of software available" Pop-up Removal Guide:
1. First of all, download anti-malware software and run a full system scan. It will detect and remove this infection from your computer. You may then follow the manual removal instructions below to remove the leftover traces of this malware. Hopefully you won't have to do that.
2. Remove "New Version of software available" pop-up related programs from your computer using the Uninstall a program control panel (Windows 7). Go to the Start Menu. Select Control Panel → Uninstall a Program.
If you are using Windows 8 or 10, simply drag your mouse pointer to the right edge of the screen, select Search from the list and search for "control panel".
Or you can right-click on a bottom left hot corner (formerly known as the Start button) and select Control panel from there.
3. When the Add/Remove Programs or the Uninstall a Program screen is displayed, scroll through the list of currently installed programs and remove the following:
- and any other recently installed application
Simply select each application and click Remove. If you are using Windows Vista, Windows 7 or Windows 8, click Uninstall up near the top of that window. When you're done, please close the Control Panel screen.
Remove "New Version of software available" pop-up related extensions from Google Chrome:
1. Click on Chrome menu button. Go to More Tools → Extensions.
2. Click on the trashcan icon to remove Plus-HD, Extag, Gosave and other extensions that you do not recognize.
If the removal option is grayed out then read how to remove extensions installed by enterprise policy.
3. Then select Settings. Scroll down the page and click Show advanced settings.
4. Find the Reset browser settings section and click Reset browser settings button.
5. In the dialog that appears, click Reset. That's it!
Remove "New Version of software available" pop-up related extensions from Mozilla Firefox:
1. Open Mozilla Firefox. Go to Tools Menu → Add-ons.
2. Select Extensions. Click Remove button to remove Plus-HD, Extag, Gosave, MediaPlayerV1 and other extensions that you do not recognize.
Remove "New Version of software available" pop-up related add-ons from Internet Explorer:
1. Open Internet Explorer. Go to Tools → Manage Add-ons. If you have the latest version, simply click on the Settings button.
2. Select Toolbars and Extensions. Click Remove/Disable button to remove the browser add-ons listed above.