And while Eridanus might not have been specifically created to corrupt our data or steal our passwords and login details, it does come with its own set of unique characteristics. Not least of which is its ability to leave your PC open to attack by something more harmful such as spyware. As anyone who knows anything about spyware is aware, this awful program can install a keystroke logger on your PC so the programmer can steal your passwords and other data - then using it to their own advantage.
What does Eridanus adware do?
Its main purpose is to drive traffic and leads to a website by displaying Eridanus ads. It will continually bombard you with annoying pop up ads "optimized by Eridanus" and "Super Offers" for very random products or websites. Other variants if this of adware will delete your browser and subsequently send everything you search for online to a site of the programmer's choosing – thus manipulating your search to drive traffic to their site.
So, if you've been infected by this adware, you probably want to know how to remove it. Some adware is easier to delete than others – it all depends how deeply it has been buried in your operating system. Nevertheless, try and remove it yourself before you have to turn to an expert and pay them to do it for you. Here are some simple steps to help you delete Eridanus on Windows:
- If you don't have one installed already, download some malware removal software.
- Next back up your files – just in case! Copy files onto an external hard drive.
- Run your malware removal software and be sure to scan all drives that you suspect of being infected.
- The software should tell you which program on your PC is actually adware. Delete it!
- Shut down your PC again and then reboot it.
- It is a good idea to run the malware removal tool for a second time just to make sure that you have completely got rid of everything that is lurking on your computer.
Please follow the steps in the removal guide below. If you have any questions, please leave a comment down below. Good luck and be safe online!
Written by Michael Kaur, http://deletemalware.blogspot.com
Eridanus Ads Removal Guide:
1. First of all, download anti-malware software and run a full system scan. It will detect and remove this infection from your computer. You may then follow the manual removal instructions below to remove the leftover traces of this malware. Hopefully you won't have to do that.
2. Remove Eridanus related programs from your computer using the Uninstall a program control panel (Windows 7). Go to the Start Menu. Select Control Panel → Uninstall a Program.
If you are using Windows 8 or 10, simply drag your mouse pointer to the right edge of the screen, select Search from the list and search for "control panel".
Or you can right-click on a bottom left hot corner (formerly known as the Start button) and select Control panel from there.
3. When the Add/Remove Programs or the Uninstall a Program screen is displayed, scroll through the list of currently installed programs and remove the following:
- and any other recently installed application
Simply select each application and click Remove. If you are using Windows Vista, Windows 7 or Windows 8, click Uninstall up near the top of that window. When you're done, please close the Control Panel screen.
Remove Eridanus related extensions from Google Chrome:
1. Click on Chrome menu button. Go to More Tools → Extensions.
2. Click on the trashcan icon to remove Eridanus, Extag, Gosave, HD-Plus 3.5 and other extensions that you do not recognize.
If the removal option is grayed out then read how to remove extensions installed by enterprise policy.
3. Then select Settings. Scroll down the page and click Show advanced settings.
4. Find the Reset browser settings section and click Reset browser settings button.
5. In the dialog that appears, click Reset. That's it!
Remove Eridanus related extensions from Mozilla Firefox:
1. Open Mozilla Firefox. Go to Tools Menu → Add-ons.
2. Select Extensions. Click Remove button to remove Eridanus, Extag, Gosave, MediaPlayerV1, HD-Plus 3.5 and other extensions that you do not recognize.
Remove Eridanus related add-ons from Internet Explorer:
1. Open Internet Explorer. Go to Tools → Manage Add-ons. If you have the latest version, simply click on the Settings button.
2. Select Toolbars and Extensions. Click Remove/Disable button to remove the browser add-ons listed above.